AVIC411.com

how long does the AVIC Z1 Last?

i just dont like the idea of when my key is in the ignition at 2 and when i start my engine the Z1 turns off and back on.. :(

Thats not your z1s fault. Thats factory wiring. Cuts the power to start the engine.

yea i know.. bummer.. that why i was wondering if thats bad for the Z1 but i guesss it was built to be ready for this issue. ohh well i love the Z1.. but right now im having GPS issues with the Antenna.. i cant get my navi to work so i got a replacement one and gonna bring it back to the installer that install my navi to get it to work.

It last approximately 10k hours (the tube for the screen anyway). It is either that which will fail or the hard drive.

I usually turn off the screen when i am not using it by holding down the V button. That way, when i turn back on my car, the screen doesnt turn on.

The lamp is just a cold cathode fluorescent lamp just like the ones used in laptops and portable DVD players. There are web sites you can get replacement lamps and inverter boards that I'm sure you could make work with the Z1, so if you're handy with a soldering iron, you could replace the lamp yourself for a lot less than the $200 Pioneer wants.

I'd say the hard drive will fail before the lamp does though.

i just dont like the idea of when my key is in the ignition at 2 and when i start my engine the Z1 turns off and back on.. :(

I hated this too, so I fixed it. It's not the Z1's fault like was also mentioned.

It's just from your car's starter pulling the voltage down just enough to make the Z1 think it should shut off.

So, I wired in a 1/2 farad capacitor to the +12v constant to the Z1 (with diodes to keep the cap from trying to help start the car). I also wired in a circuit to keep the radio on for about 8 seconds after I shut the car off.

I think used another relay that the ACC wire goes through and uses power from the capacitor for the turn on lead so the voltage doesn't drop on that lead as well.

Works great. The reason I did this was my car is a diesel and need to let the glow plugs warm up, and by the time that they do, the Z1 is mostly booted up.

Anyway, that's all....

Paul

Thats correct. If you use your Z1 for 8 hours every day, you will have to get it repaired in four years. Or if you're like most people who use it much less, it will be obsolete by the time your screen burns out

so i read someone other thread earlier about how long it last.. it last only 10,000 hrs..? is that correct?