AVIC411.com

Trouble with routing!!! AVIC-D3

Got my D3, XM, Backup camera installed (bypassed) and everything works just fine. However, I am seeing more problems with the GPS routing. I hope you will share your experience on this since I tend to believe this could be a common issue.

A little background on the D3:

- The automatic learnings on my unit are all about 90+% finished.

- I get full satelite signal almost all the time.

- My vehicle location seems pretty accurate on the map.

- I tested the unit with the same destination from the same original location over and over.

- The "speed limit" for different road type for ETA is set at 30,40,60.

Issues:

1. For the same destination, Google, Yahoo, TomTom will always point to the same route driving through one freeway. However, the D3, not once will use the same route. When the system is set at "SHORT", it always point me to drive around a block to get to the freeway entrance even the freeway entrance is right behind me. When the system is set at "FAST", it will point me to drive through three different freeways, which is longer in distance and speed limit is not any higher.

2. When I deviate from the route that D3 provided, it will be very stubborn trying to get me back to the same freeway entrance even when I am already right in front of the next freeway entrance, which is CLOSER to the destination. What is logic behind it to tell me to turn back in this situation!? How can that be?

3. There is a time it will tell me to get off freeway and then come back again, while I should have kept driving.

I am disappointed on the navigation performance of the D3 if it is supposed to be the way it is. My HP iPaq with TomTom GPS that the D3 replaced is much better than this. It is hard for me to rely on the route guidance the D3 suggested.

Anyone has similar issues/problems?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am disappointed in the routing. I live just off of exit 43 on I-295. It tells me to get off at exit 45. When I don't it tells me to go to exit 40! Maddening.

I went to the Teleatlas website and reported it but their map on the web clearly shows the exit 43 interchanges and has the traffic flow in the right directions.

It is stubborn when you skip a recommendation but recently it seems less so. I may be imagining that. Maybe I am just gettng used to it.

Finally, for the past day or two it seems to take a couple of minutes to finally get the location right.

When you're having location trouble, do you have a strong satellite signal? I live north of Baltimore and had trouble over the last few days when it was cloudy. The clouds seemed to weaken the signal (3 satellites instead of 7). I also noticed that on the cloudy days, it took longer to initially acquire the signal. If I started driving away before the system had finished loading, it didn't calculate my position correctly, but fixed itself after the first red light I came to.

I haven't had routing issues, but I've had 2 problems with address searches. One was a doctor's office on a hospital campus. The map showed the roads clearly, but the finish point was ~1/4 mile away from the actual address. I was looking for street number 3456 and the nav told me I had arrived when I was staring at mailbox #3428. The other time the nav told me to turn left and I had arrived when there was no building in sight. I had to turn around, go back through the intersection and hang a right, another 1/4 mi behind where it directed me. Again the roads and the route seemed correct, but the address was wrong.

Yes, I got full satelite signal. It is really not the location problem. The GPS can locate me just fine. It is the routing comes out very weird and stubborn when you do not agreed with it.

The biggest problem I can see is even when you are right in front of a freeway entrance, it will tell you to make a U-turn, go back to the original route and freeway entrance. It cannot do a smarter reroute by using the most convenient and efficient way right next to you.

I think you can use the short cut option to fix this problem but im not sure since i have only seen this feature and not really used it, but also do you have the navi disk in when you go off the unit route because if so, whenever you are running a route of the unit memory instead of the disk, the unit will always tell you to go back at the point you veered off especially when the distance between start and finish is far.

Ive spoken with pioneer a few times about the destinations being way off or not there at all. For example theres been a target store in southern california in the same place for many many years. The pioneer unit doesnt even know that its there, let alone anything thats there. It has an address that is nearly 5 blocks (5000) addresses away. Pioneer suggests that this is just somethign omitted from the dataebase info. They also say that if the unit doesnt know exactly where an address is, it falls back to longituted and latituted settings, and gets you 'close' to where you want to go based upon those numbers.

Personally, i dont see how pioneer can have a unit much bigger then many hand held units (though it does so much more) and be off and have things like "sat signal' as a fault.... the smaller units are able to function just fine with clouds in the sky, but not the pioneer? Its got to be stupid hard to have every info into the system and with all the updates its got to be crazy work, but again, other smaller portable units do it ok all the time.

I think you can use the short cut option to fix this problem but im not sure since i have only seen this feature and not really used it, but also do you have the navi disk in when you go off the unit route because if so, whenever you are running a route of the unit memory instead of the disk, the unit will always tell you to go back at the point you veered off especially when the distance between start and finish is far.

The nav. disk is always in the drive.

I tried anything I can within the navigation setup... FAST, SHORT... ROAD SPEED... RESET.... but the problem still exists....

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the by-pass...

It cant be the bypass as posted above the bypass has nothing to do with its gps function but have you tried route edit and edit that part. I know you can do that in this case because you know where you are going and that wont be the case when you dont but gps unit no matter what brand or type will never replace the knowledge of someone who knows the area.

It cant be the bypass as posted above the bypass has nothing to do with its gps function but have you tried route edit and edit that part. I know you can do that in this case because you know where you are going and that wont be the case when you dont but gps unit no matter what brand or type will never replace the knowledge of someone who knows the area.

You were right. I was not looking for a gps unit to replace my knowledge to the area that I know.

It is the fact that the unit AS ALWAYS will pop up with a longer route is what I am having troube with. It is the efficiency that I am concerning. What could happen if the destination is far away and is unknown to me but my experience is telling me that I am not being guided to the more DIRECT pathway. It becomes pointless of having a GPS unit that cannot do its job right.

Well not really especially when you are lost and you want to get there. Afterall, the point of the object is to get you to the place as efficient as possible, meaning not direct you to drive around in circles a million time. My unit navigates me pretty well but sometimes it chooses less than perfect exits but my TomTom did that too, this is where experience plays a role. The only thing that give me trouble is i dont understand why when it reroutes you it tells you to get off the freeway and reenter the same freeway at a different spot that sounds weird, you should try a reset. I tried purposely entering a freeway at a different location and my unit doesnt do that.

I have a D3 without a by past and the unit was installed by pro's. The routing on mine works great if you have never used anything else. I have used Megelans and own a cheep Garmin. They are way better than the D3. Mine will drive me by the intersection and than have me uturn ,sometimes miles up the road. Than i back track and turn down the same street i just pasted. I wrote Pioneer and they sure seem to know they have a problem and said they would send out a fix if they ever get one. This happens about 40% of the time. Everything else about the D3 is great! It's just how it routes that stinks! For less than $500 bucks the Garmin will put the D3 to shame. But the D3 gets the chicks! :wink:

• 7 months later...

Agreed. The navigation on the D3 totally sucks. Its not even that it doesnt do it the most efficient way, it just doesn't make any sense at all. I tested it yesterday going to my mom's. First, it was going to have me drive right past her road. I turned anyway cuz i had no idea what it wanted me to do. As i'm driving down her road, it tells me to turn right OFF of her road??? I look at the route, and it wanted me to turn right, drive about a mile, make a circle, and come right back to the SAME EXACT INTERSECTION where i already was and could just go straight. THAT MAKE NO F**KING SENSE!. Sorry for ranting but this thing is just absolutely ridiculous. Pioneer needs to release a firmware update to fix this POS. Don't get me wrong, I love the radio, i just hate the navigation. I really hope Pioneer doesn't screw us, and keeps up to date on the firmware and maps for this thing.