AVIC411.com

i was wondering...i brought my d3 in to be installed by a pro and when i got it back, the screen sits about an inch inside of the actual face plate. it makes it hard to adjust the volume knob, and makes it look a lot smaller than it is. i asked him if it was possible to make it sit more flush and he said that with the brackets, they can only fit on the specific holes that are given on the unit itself. and it is not possible for it to be pushed out some more.

i mean, there are some pluses i guess, it is barely visible when at night even looking right through the window. but the look is not as clean.

for the people with the ford kits, do you have any suggestions?

is there a way to push the unit out any? i will try to take pics to show you guys.

99 ford explorer.

sounds like the installer didnt trim the lip anound the opening in the dash. he probably has the radio sitting behind it. if done properly it should sit as far out as the stock radio

I was thinking the same thing, thats probably an inch and a half back, he has to put it infront of the lip if thats the case.. Pics would help very much so, thanks!

i have a 2001 explorer and installed the D3 myself. What the installer said is true, unless you do a little bit of trimming it will not fit in the opening. It took me a few tries to get it where it looks good. If I can get pics tommorow i will post them. Also you will need to make your own braket to mount it, I looked a three kits and none would fit right, I ended up modifing one for the trim piece for the front and made my own mount to hold it in the dash. Hope that helps.

please offer some suggestions with steps because i am trembling with the thought of cutting and breaking...

thanks for all the input so far

from the pics, maybe you guys can give me some more detailed information.

sorry for the quality. i'm using my 2mp cell phone...

post-3921-12872752087855_thumb.jpg

post-3921-12872752088681_thumb.jpg

post-3921-1287275208933_thumb.jpg

post-3921-12872752090068_thumb.jpg

do you know how much further out it can sit?

just by looking at the pics, it looks a good 2 or more inches deep.

misfit, so i can def move it out some?

if i do need to drill holes, do you know where to drill them?

thanks

if i do need to drill holes, do you know where to drill them?

There are brackets on either side of the head unit that your head unit screws into. The whole mounting bracket can come out for you to drill new holes, if need be. I don't know if you've ever seen the inside of a computer, but it is just like mounting a cd-rom drive.

so it shouldn't be a probem for the installer to do right? because when i asked him he said that it was the furthest he could go. if i tell him to drill holes in the bracket, he should know what to do right?

i just feel that i might be undermining his work. i know i paid him to do and he should do it as i like...but what are the chances he said it can' be done...

i'm just being paranoid now...