AVIC411.com

Ipod Adapter on a AVIC D-2

Hey All,

I'm new here and just bought a Subaru WRX STI that has a NAVIC-D2 installed in it. I'm loving the deck and I had a few questions that you guys could hopefully answer for me.

What is the best way to hook up an Ipod to it?

Is the D-2 capable to of controlling the ipod instead of having to use the ipod controls?

Would the following cable work on a D-2? It states its compatilble with the D-3 but doesn't mention the D-2.

EC.PIO.CDI200.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The D3 cable does not work on the D2. You need a CD-IB100 or CD-IB100II. There is also an aftermarket solution, iPod2Car.

D2 can control an iPod, but the CD-IB's are really bad. 8-character names, can't browse without interrupting song play, and very, Very, VERY slow navigating the iPod.

iPod2Car is better, but has its own problems. Can't use XM with iPod2Car, HU always starts in OFF mode, and browsing is slow (but 5x faster than the CD-IB's).

D1/D2 are not good HU's for iPod at all. Most people think it's much easier just to get an aux cable and control the iPod directly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does the IB-100II plug into the same port as XM on the back of the head unit?

If so, what's the best way to go from the Ipod to the auxilary input? I definitely don't want to use the headphone jack. Is there something out there that has a dock connector on one end and RCA on the other to go directly to the auxilary input on the head unit?

I ask because I want to hook my XM back up after I take out the Ipod2Car.

Yes, IB-100II plugs into the IP-Bus port like the XM does, but you can have multiple IP-Bus devices daisy-chained together. The XM unit should have a port that duplicates the one on the back of the HU.

There are cables with a dock connector on one end and an IP-Bus connector on the other that should do the trick. Here is the first one I found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-IPOD-ADAPTER-FOR-PIONEER-RECEIVER-CONNECT-TO-IPOD_W0QQitemZ270127425157QQihZ017QQcategoryZ60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's not necessarily the best deal, just the first one I found. Search around for the best price.

I haven't looked at the XM unit because I had it installed at a shop, but I will pull it out this weekend when I open it up.

Using the daisy chain method, does the HU recognize each input separately? Like right now, if I go to the main screen, there are only three options I can choose: FM, CD, XM. The others are all greyed out. If I connect the IB-100II (or the wire Gnat linked to) to the IP-Bus port on the XM unit, will there then be four options activated?

I'm assuming if you disconnect the blue wire in the IB-100II unit and control playback using the ipod, the HU won't display the track/artist/etc. information right? If that's the case, then it seems like the best option is using the connector Gnat linked to. But if playback information is still displayed on the screen when the IB-100II unit, I think it would be worth spending a little extra money.

• 3 weeks later...

i ordered the cable Gnat recommended and tried to install it over this last weekend. but the problem now is that the xm unit isn't located behind the HU. the guys who installed it put the unit somewhere else (i couldn't find it) and ran the xm cable all the way to the back of the HU.

so if i can't plug my new cable into the xm unit, what's next?

i still have the female rca inputs on the back of the HU that say "auxilary input" or something. is there anything that goes straight from dock connector to rca?

the only thing i can think of is running rca cables with a rca-to-headphone-jack converter from the back of the HU to belkin's charger/amplifier (link), and then plugging that into my ipod.

but is there a simpler way? or are there any other options i'm not seeing?