AVIC411.com

Background loading problem: "data read error"

I get a "data read" error when trying to load my custom backgrounds.

I followed all steps as stated in the walkthrough, except I did not have the POI files stated, and therefore deleted all POI files in that directory.

Anyone knows what I did wrong? Thanks.

make sure you close the entire disk in the software after writing and make sure you create a folder called PICTURES, also the the total file size fo the CD must be 1.8mb or more.

after the burning process it took almost 5 minutes until the "done" button was visible, indicating the process being over. did you mean this?

I did not create a "pictures" folder since it was not mentioned in the DIY thread...

I did not use a CD, but rather a DVD. The size was 4.4 GB I believe.

Since there is so much discrepency from what you are saying, maybe you are using a different approach? if so, could you elaborate. thanks.

I did not use the DIY, i used the method in the manual.

You can use a CD or DVD, but the data on the CD must be a min on 1.8MB and on the DVD 280mb, so I would use the CD.

So take a blank CD create a Pictures folder, put all pictures into it and burn and make sure the total data is greater than 1.8mb.

Make sure the CD is closed or finalized and you should be good.

Use Roxio or Nero or any burning software, dont use the winxp built in burning capability since it will only close the session not the whole CD.

Let me know how you make out.

Closing the session is closing part of the disk that you wrote data to, and then you can continue to add data at a later time. This will usually work computer to computer but will not be able to be read by the Nav unit.

Closing the CD is finalizing the CD so it can not be written to at all, and can be read by any reader. So look for the option to finalize the CD.

In Roxio use Easy CD Creator and add the picutures you want and write the disk, it should finalize it for you.

Remember I have a D3, im not sure if you need the picture folder for the D2 or not. But I am sure you will need to finalize the disk.

Wait, your trying to burn a CD with backgrounds in a picture folder to work on a D2? That will NOT work! Thats only for the N's.

You have to follow the custom background guide.

thanks for the concern. i read too that it only works for the N's. i meant i am trying the "closed burning" with finalizing the dvd.

i have been using the custom bg guide, but got that error message... so i am looking for a fix somehow.