AVIC411.com

ANYONE HAVE A VW OR AN AUDI?? W/Z1

[quote name="ImolaVirus"]I've got the Z1 in my 2000 S4. Physically the install was pretty straight forward, but you really do have to bypass the stock amps and replace the door speakers if you have the Bose system, since it doesn't play nice with anything else but itself. I found that replacing the door speaks was really hard to do, since the Bose speaks are of some very strange proportions and 2ohm. So, I used the stock speakers, and utilized an amp that was 2 ohm stable, and it sounds great. If you've done a few installs in the past, then I'd say go ahead and do it, but plan it out, first. If you've never done it, pay someone.[/quote]

This is not true in my 2001 S4, I used a metra kit with the Z1, the Metra has RCA inputs... Works like a charm... Sounds better than Stock. But the Bose speakers and amp are good.
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I have a 2000 Audi A6 with the z1 we made a kit from two single din slots to one double din, looks great to most people, me however and very picky. I work at Ultimate Electronics and I have installers that rebuild the whole kit using fiberglass and automotive paint and isomount it to look factory, little more expensive but the looks are a huge improvement.
  • 1 month later...
Thread, I don't quite understand the can-bus adapter issues.

Is there something called the Dietz adapter that is available now? (I googled it and there does seem to be something along those lines, but I don't read German). I also heard that the Euro can bus is different so it doesn't quite work (maybe from you on another forum).
[Edited]

Is the one enfig is working on different from the one that is "coming soon" from peripheral electronics?

Will these things allow the button to work that changes the mode of the MFD (the display between the tach and speedometer) (e.g. from audio to settings etc.?) I can see that this would be difficult or impossible, as in some modes the track buttons don't go to the radio at all but rather to control the MFD.

(Long shot) Will the audio information from the Z1 be displayed on the MFD, as currently with the stock radio?

Thanks,

Andy

[quote name="thread"] [quote name="dionga"]
Wonder if prices will come down on the adapters :shock:
Enfig had one coming out(maybe this is it) and it was priced like that I heard.
Too steep for me to justify at this point. I assume that I will have to tap the fuse panel for switched power? Constant should be at the harness.

On a side note, just realized that my "retained power" has never worked.
everything shuts off when I pull the key, not when the door opens as it did on my MK IV. :?[/quote]

Yep, it's the ENFIG one. I'm testing it for Christian. It DOES make retained power work though which is cool. Radio stays on until you pull out the key.

Switched power can be tapped at position 45 on the fuse panel on the side of the dash. Double check it with a multimeter first though.[/quote]
i have a jetta and i did my d2 myself no problems yet (knock on wood) but yeah for me i had to cut the plasic behind the OEM radio to get mine to slide in all the way .. no biggie easy as pie with a hacksaw :-D then it fits perfect! i reccomend doing it if you know what you are doing .... i had luck and my friend who had the car b4 me had a pioneer head unit so i just cut that wireharness off and matched the colors to mine really easy
[quote name="ImolaVirus"]I've got the Z1 in my 2000 S4. Physically the install was pretty straight forward, but you really do have to bypass the stock amps and replace the door speakers if you have the Bose system, since it doesn't play nice with anything else but itself. I found that replacing the door speaks was really hard to do, since the Bose speaks are of some very strange proportions and 2ohm. So, I used the stock speakers, and utilized an amp that was 2 ohm stable, and it sounds great. If you've done a few installs in the past, then I'd say go ahead and do it, but plan it out, first. If you've never done it, pay someone.

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/P3FE/PB240100.jpg[/img][/quote]
I used the stock Amp in my 2001 with a custom harness to send the line level inputs from the Pioneer to the bose at line level. Works fantastic, sound is better than before I installed the Pionner with the same speakers and Amp. As a side note on the S4, if you replace the Hazard light trim piece with the stock black trim, it looks much better than the wood trim.