AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z2 in a 2001 Toyota Camry LE

Hi everyone, new to the site, loving it so far.

I'm having a new AVIC-Z2 installed in my 2001 Camry LE. I'm having it installed by a reputable custom shop, but before I head up there I have a few questions about the installation itself, and I'm hoping some people here have had some experience with this particular model car. Please post any insights you might have, and even if you can't answer all of the questions, answer what you can. I can piece it together later.

1) As far as features of the Z1/Z2 go, is the 2001 Camry missing any wires/hookups for the unit? That is to say, are all of the wires accessible like speed pulse and such?

2) Besides what came with the Z1/Z2, what will I need to install it? In particular, exactly which wire harness will I need, will I need any special mounting plates for the sides?

3) Antenna placement. I have the Z2 and the GEX-P10XMT(XM Radio/NavTraffic), so I have two antennas. I'd prefer them to be on the outside, but I'd like to know where is best. I'm wondering either putting them side by side on the roof by the rear window, side by side on the trunk lid, or one on the roof and one on the trunk lid so they're aligned with the car's symmetry. On the same topic, will I need extensions to run the cables back there, and is reception still good with the antennas mounted on the INSIDE under the rear window? (The rear window has an FM diversity antenna built in)

4) Rear camera. I'm also having a rear camera installed, the ND-BC2. Where would the optimal location be for this? How exactly is it attached anyway? If it uses adhesive, is there a more permanent method, perhaps with the license plate screws? Will the car be able to go through a car wash with it on?

5) Microphone placement. Where would the best location be for this? The installation manual seems to suggest dead center right above the steering column, and that's fine by me, but I've seen some installs where it's attached to the top left of the windshield, by the headliner/pillar. Would that work in this car, and is it better/worse than having it right in the middle?

6) My car has the upgraded 6-speaker JBL system for that year. Will there be any problem installing the Z2 with this system installed? Will there need to be any adapters, converters, or will I have to replace any components?

7) Last, and I might be doing this in the wrong order, I want to eventually get some bodywork done. Dents removed, new paint, etc. If the antennas are on the outside and the rear-view camera mounted, what kind of trouble am I in for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I appreciate it.

First one post is enough. Second, if you're having it installed by a shop then you should talk to them about 1-6 since they're doing it. As for number seven I would recommend moving and or removing those items to make life easier on yourself. I've seen plenty of body shops just hack those parts and try butt connecting them back together. And that don't work.

I would talk to them but like many shops around here, they're closed until Passover's over. I've been holding onto the equipment for over a week and it's driving me nuts.

Besides, I'm not looking for installation methods as much as I am user experiences with similar setups. I'm more interested in people with this model car than specifically a Z1/Z2.

And as far as the bodywork's concerned, yeah, obviously the stuff comes off before the car gets painted. But the more I know about where and how the antennas and cameras get mounted would help me understand how difficult that will be.