AVIC411.com

Diodes make power go one way, right??

I guess diodes are the little black transistors that only allow power to go one way right? im looking or one strong enough to light a set of reverse lights... is there certian voltages and amps these come in? Like for example i found a set on ebay for 6 amp 1000 volt. those would be alright since i would never exceed either 6 amps or 1000 volts right?
I'm curious what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

Yes, a diode will block the current going in one direction, but why would you need this for your lights? The car uses DC voltage and bulbs don't care about polarity. Even LED bulbs don't care, they'll just fail to come on if the polarity is incorrect.

To answer your question, yes, if your load is only 2A, then a 6A diode should be fine.
  • 3 months later...
As mentioned in earlier posts, vehicles use DC current which stands for Direct Current. It will only flow from negative to positive....so there is no need for a diode...unless you are trying to route current through some type of circuit. If you are trying to replace your regular bulbs with light emitting diodes a.k.a. LEDs then you will definitely need more than one diode per light. More likely 20 per light. I think these come in kits. Try googling.