AVIC411.com

Z1 Reverse Camera

Hi, new to the forum so I don't know if there is info on this but I'm interested in knowing if anyone can tell me how to get my reverse camera to work in other gears besides reverse itself? I would like to be able to bypass it and use it while driving much like I was able to do in order to watch movies. Also, if possible, is there a way to record what is seen through the video?

Thanks in advance

In the map menu there is an option for Map View (I think) hit this button then you will several views including rear camera. Mine does not show the entire screen as the rear camera it is more like 75% camera and the other 25% is the nav map unless there is a way to change that.

• 1 month later...
Or ground the parking wire, through a toggle switch. This way when the switch is on, you get the rear video feed.

Could you please clarify this? So all you have to do is put a toggle switch on the parking wire and then you will be able to flip a switch and you will see full screen rear camera on screen? that sounds almost too good to be true...

Whoops! Not sure what I was on when I wrote that. :)

You would have to send power to the REVERSE wire. Then, when you flicked the toggle, you would get the rear camera on demand.

You are, basically simulating putting the car into reverse (which overrides the display to give you a full rear-view).

See page 14 of the installation manual. But instead of sending that wire to the back up light, you send it to a +12V and put a switch on it.

But then you would to manually flip the switch in order to have rear camera display when you put the vehicle in reverse... i.e. you would lose the "automatic" rear display when in reverse.

What if we used some kind of double pole switch that would allow for reversing polarity so that we would be able to have the rear view camera displayed while in reverse or forward depending on which way we flip the switch? I'm going to go to Radio Shack tomorrow to see what's available.

Nah, you don't need a dp switch. Just wire them both. So you have the 12V from the rear of the car and a switch 12V going to the reverse wire on the avic.

wiring diagram:

normal_reverse.jpg

This way, when you put the car into reverse, the avic gets the "signal" from the reverse light. When you flick the switch, the avic gets the "signal" from the "Hot" 12V.

That is much simpler.

One more question: wouldn't your backup light come on when you flip the switch? Actually, i get my reverse signal from my Canbus and i'm not sure it if would damage it if it gets 12 volts "retrograde" into it's "reverse out signal wire"... Couldn't we use a DP switch to keep this from happining?

Hot +12 ----------------------- [DP Switch] -------- Reverse Light or Canbus Signal +12

Reverse wire (avic) ----------------/

(Please excise this crude diagram)

Nah, you don't need a dp switch. Just wire them both. So you have the 12V from the rear of the car and a switch 12V going to the reverse wire on the avic.

wiring diagram:

normal_reverse.jpg

This way, when you put the car into reverse, the avic gets the "signal" from the reverse light. When you flick the switch, the avic gets the "signal" from the "Hot" 12V.

Bad idea on the diagram. If you do this as the diagram shows, you'll end up turning the reverse lights on when you hit the switch as well.

oops! Yeah, forgot about that! :oops: Good catch on the diode.

the dp switch will still work, but I've had a hard time finding one that doesn't shut off completely at center. of course, you might want to disable the reverse camera completely so then it would suit your purposes.