AVIC411.com

Its disappointing that theres no way to secure the unit to the care. Sorta like one of those computer security cables. Plug one end into the unit and attach it to the car. But then again these thieves will steal anything, even the shitty value edition radio. They don't know the difference. Once that window is broken, they're going to take something.

Let's be real... there's nothing you can do to prevent a determined thief from ripping off your radio if they want to.

You think some "security cable" is going to deter them from taking it out of your car if they want it?

If a thief rips the radio out of your dash and sees a "Security cable"... what do you think will happen? They'll tuck tail and run?

No. If they don't have the means to cut the cable (which wouldn't be difficult) then they'll likely just steal the whole car and worry about it later.

My 2 yr old TomTom nav unit asks for a password when turned on . It didn't come with this option when first purchased , but was a part of a free software upgrade from TomTom . They can steal it but it would be useless unless some geek can bypass the password . If most car audio systems had this type of protection maybe it could cut down on the theft problem .

The D3 has that already

My 2 yr old TomTom nav unit asks for a password when turned on . It didn't come with this option when first purchased , but was a part of a free software upgrade from TomTom . They can steal it but it would be useless unless some geek can bypass the password . If most car audio systems had this type of protection maybe it could cut down on the theft problem .

Thats good to know . If someone steals my D2 . I'll give the D3 a look . :lol:

The D3 has that already

I use the security cable on my D2. It is shortened so that it can only be unbolted from under the dash. And that is a pain in the ass to get at. Unless you know where it is it would take someone some time to unbolt and getting bolt cutters in there is next to impossible. If someone really wanted it they would get it, but anything that slows them down I will use.

The cable, my alarm (paging) and a slew of sensors hopefully will make the idiot who wants a radio to choose the next car and not mine.

No. If they don't have the means to cut the cable (which wouldn't be difficult) then they'll likely just steal the whole car and worry about it later.

I'd be willing to bet, that if they can't remove your radio, they'll smash it in spite.