AVIC411.com

D3 Ipod noise workarounds.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nail the whine at the source if you can. If the whine changes with the engine revving, then the source might be either a bad condenser on the alternator or non-resistor spark plugs and/or plug wires. Most alternators have the condenser built into the regulator but you can install external ones to help filter the whine even more. Plugs and wires can be brutal, if you're using supa-ninja plugs and phatty-sauce-race wires, then your only solution may be Danish Ferrite Nipples and GL Isolators.

This problem only exist with the iPod source and is not a problem if the charging feature on the D3 is turn off or if the backlight on the iPod is switched to ALWAYS ON so I don't think it is a ground loop but my knowledge on ground loops is limited. There are other people on this forum that have reported he same problem under the same conditions. As for ground loop isolators what do you installers and pros recomend for this situation.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Avic D3 and I'm having the same problem with noise over the Ipod cable. Just like everyone else, if I turn off the Ipod charging, the noise goes away. After reading this post, I tried taking one of the ferrite beads off of one of my usb cables and putting it on the Ipod. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any difference after doing this. I even wrapped the cable through the ferrite bead twice because I read that improves the effectiveness (also because that was how my usb cable had it setup). I also want to make people aware that I'm only having this noise problem with the 5th generation Ipod video that I have. I also have a 1st generation Ipod nano. The nano, however, does not have the noise issue, even with the charging turned on. So now I'm cofused. I'm not sure if the Ipod video noise is coming from the cable or if it's coming from the Ipod video itself. It seems that if it was coming through the cable, the Ipod nano would have the same problem. I'm curious what ipod version people are using that have this problem. Hopefully someone can come up with a solution to this problem because it really is very annoying.

I had the noise. Set the backlight on the ipod to be constantly on, and noise gone. Sure, this lowers the life expectancy of the backlight, which when it burns out the noise will come back, but by that point somebody may have found a real solution. Because I don't need the backlight if I never look at the ipod's screen.

• 2 weeks later...

OK my avic-d1 had issues when we first installed the ipod adapter.

I installed a power line filter off my old avic N1 harness.

Have not had a issue since.

Also check the volume level and the master level on the ipod.

Are most of you having a issue with windows formatted ipods or mac?

Im a apple guru!!!!!

It is a problem with certain Ipods. I have an old school Ipod, no color screen no video, and I have no noise with the charging on and the back light off. When my wife puts her ipod in, a video ipod, there is white noise in the back ground with the charging on. I think the d3 manual even says something about the noise and to fix it turn the charging off.

• 1 month later...
my 2 cents

"ferrites" are gold. i keep everyone i dont need to use and use them up on stupid aux input installs! i do agree that they make great projectiles but still hand for real use

Actually, ferrium is iron. Gold is not a magnetic metal.

I think that he meant 'gold' in the sense that they are really useful. Ferrite is something that is primarily composed of iron, but 'ferrium' is not a word.

:)

• 3 months later...

Nice (well not really) to know others are having this problem. I'm actually having this issue with a completely different headunit, an Eclipse AVN2210p. I stumbled upon this forum because I am looking to replace the Eclipse with a D3 and wanted to make sure the Pioneer didn't have these ipod issues, but apparently it does.

I'm having what is described as a white noise/interference in the background while the ipod is playing. Very annoying, and it's definitely ipod related, as I don't have this when using the cd player, fm tuner, etc..

I think the issue is related to Ipods that have a harddrive...and the noise is somewhat harddrive related. I can sometimes hear the Ipod boot up. I have multiple ipods, and when I use one of my flash based ipods in the car (my nano, for instance), I have no white noise in the background.

Haven't been able to find a solution yet but I know others have had some success with ground loop isolators.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...