AVIC411.com

feedback on estimate I got on install of NAV and audio in VW

Also, in reference to your issue about amp size, Alpine makes a nice 4-channel amp to run a set of 6.5" infinity component speakers (about 75 watts RMS per channel) that only measures 12x12 inches. It's pretty small and very efficient for a 4-channel amp, especially if you get the component Infinitys at best buy, which put out about 90 watts RMS.

And check out the new Rockford Fosgate amps this year. They are ridiculously small for how much power they can push. You definitely pay extra for the quality and compact size, but it might be worth it to you. Great for pushing subs.

Jordan, I can't thank you enough....

regarding the amp and speaker... I had requested a softer sound, as opposed to the harsher sound from the speakers that come with hard tweaters. So the Hertz was recommended along with the Sony because of the softer sound quality issue. make sense? How are alpines.. subjectively speaking... softer or harsh and crisp?

Also, in reference to your issue about amp size, Alpine makes a nice 4-channel amp to run a set of 6.5" infinity component speakers (about 75 watts RMS per channel) that only measures 12x12 inches. It's pretty small and very efficient for a 4-channel amp, especially if you get the component Infinitys at best buy, which put out about 90 watts RMS.

And check out the new Rockford Fosgate amps this year. They are ridiculously small for how much power they can push. You definitely pay extra for the quality and compact size, but it might be worth it to you. Great for pushing subs.

bty jordan whats the Can bus convertors installation kit that theyw ere talking about for the Avic D3? Did you need anything ike that for your GTI? since they are both VW, I thought the install should be the same...

thank you all. Keep it coming. par tof the reason for the sony amp is that space is limited in the car, so there was a size limitation on the amp. Excuse my lack of experience, but is the avic-d3 too weak to drive speakers without external amps? thanks in advance.

I own an Eos and I know for a fact you have plenty space for any size amp under the front passenger seat. This is true if don't have power seats.

Hope this helps.

umm. do the install yourself and see how easy it is. You will kick yourself for paying someone to do this easy task. Which VW do you have? If I can fit a JL amp in my Nissan crew cab with a compact 10" sub in the tiny space the back seat..... There are many places for finding space for an amp.

VW eos...

Hmm I'll have to find one to play in and look for spots. Looks like ther is room behind the seats or under passenger side

do most shops charge you per unit being installed? I had my last aftermarket headunit + sirius tuner + alarm/remote start installed professionally at a local sound shop and they combined labor for a lot of it because they told me "we're going to have to take out the kick panels and dash to install the alarm anyway...so we'll just put in the new headunit when we put it all back together."

It sounds like you're getting a lot of stuff done and a lot of the wiring would run the same routes (ex. rear view cam and amp), and then installing the BT and sat radio should go hand in hand with installing the headunit. I wouldn't pay someone $1000 to install my headunit if they can't put a BT processor behind the dash at the same time without charging me $200 more.

I installed my AVIC D3 myself. Ran the wire for the GPS antenna to the front middle of the dash. I also ran the iPod cable down the center console and up through the bottom of my center armrest compartment (easier than reaching over to the glove box when someone wants to hook theirs up). I have a sirius tuner and antenna still installed from a previous HU...but I'm going to remove those and replace them with the XM equiptment if I choose to go XM + traffic. If you have the time...a DIY could save you a ton...also gives you a sense of accomplishment.

thank you all. Keep it coming. par tof the reason for the sony amp is that space is limited in the car, so there was a size limitation on the amp. Excuse my lack of experience, but is the avic-d3 too weak to drive speakers without external amps? thanks in advance.

I own an Eos and I know for a fact you have plenty space for any size amp under the front passenger seat. This is true if don't have power seats.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I know, But I was planning on installing one of these under the passenger seat...

http://oempl.us/product_info.php?cPath= ... 9124c6b302

BTW, what stereo do you have in you Eos?

I installed my AVIC D3 myself. Ran the wire for the GPS antenna to the front middle of the dash. I also ran the iPod cable down the center console and up through the bottom of my center armrest compartment (easier than reaching over to the glove box when someone wants to hook theirs up). I have a sirius tuner and antenna still installed from a previous HU...but I'm going to remove those and replace them with the XM equiptment if I choose to go XM + traffic. If you have the time...a DIY could save you a ton...also gives you a sense of accomplishment.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I'm being so chicken shit about this...Probably because its a new car. Meanwhile, I've ripped apart PC's and laptops, sometimes while they still had that new computer smell, to install components that I wanted...

bty jordan whats the Can bus convertors installation kit that theyw ere talking about for the Avic D3? Did you need anything ike that for your GTI? since they are both VW, I thought the install should be the same...

I didn't need any can bus converter for my 07 GTI. I know which one you're talking about, but the install, including the bypass, was done without any specialty converters. As far as your previous question about alpines, when you hear them side by side with Infinity reference series speakers, they sound a bit harsher to me personally. But I also have a friend who works in car audio who says the infinity's sound harsher to him. I would definitely go in and listen to the speakers, since sound is so subjective - or failing that, just look for the frequency range of both speakers. Keep in mind though that with the D3, the equalizer that it comes with is INCREDIBLE, and you can customize any set of speakers to sound however you want. Hope this helps.[/i]

Jordan, do you think that they needed the caN BUS CONVERTER BECAUSE WE WERE INSTALLING THE SONY AMP AND HERTZSPEAKERS?

Sorry fo caps... too lazy to retype.... ;D

BTw, what do the can bus converters do?

I didn't need any can bus converter for my 07 GTI. I know which one you're talking about, but the install, including the bypass, was done without any specialty converters. As far as your previous question about alpines, when you hear them side by side with Infinity reference series speakers, they sound a bit harsher to me personally. But I also have a friend who works in car audio who says the infinity's sound harsher to him. I would definitely go in and listen to the speakers, since sound is so subjective - or failing that, just look for the frequency range of both speakers. Keep in mind though that with the D3, the equalizer that it comes with is INCREDIBLE, and you can customize any set of speakers to sound however you want. Hope this helps.[/i]

:D

Jordan, do you think that they needed the caN BUS CONVERTER BECAUSE WE WERE INSTALLING THE SONY AMP AND HERTZSPEAKERS?

:D