AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

[quote name="jdpdata"]Seriously, I was ecstactic yesterday when I found this thread. Couldn't wait to leave work and go home to try it out for myself.

Lets not forget to thank those who contributed to this great thread and Jason for creating this awesome site. :wink:[/quote]

Thanks Man!
I never imagined that the site would grow this big!
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="htrdlnc"]I would put the e-brake wire on a switch. You don't want to bury it, in case you need it.[/quote]

why would it ever be needed, just curiuos? i dont see any reason other than if a cop wanted to see it functioning properly.[/quote]

Because the one time you forget, or "miss" you won't be able to use the nav at all.
[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="htrdlnc"]I would put the e-brake wire on a switch. You don't want to bury it, in case you need it.[/quote]

why would it ever be needed, just curiuos? i dont see any reason other than if a cop wanted to see it functioning properly.[/quote]

Because the one time you forget, or "miss" you won't be able to use the nav at all.[/quote]

oh got ya, i was planning on usign a tr7 anway so hopefully i wont run into that problem. thanks, and thanks Jason for making a cool site, should change it around to include all types of audio like the 12volt forum, then ill never go back to that one for good.
I don't really think you need to hack the Z1 to update it. If Pioneer is nice, they'll let you download an update, burn it to CD-R, and update the Z1. They already confirm that they'll update the GraceNote CDDB this way in the future.

Hey, I notice you and another guy (both with Porsche) are having the same speedo issue. Perhaps your car is not compatible with the Z1? Hence you're having horrible routing results. Have you contact Pioneer to see if this is the case?

I know some members on BMW forum had to do major dashboard cutting just to fit the Z1.
Obviously I am aware a nav update won't require a hack. Just seems everyone is spending a lot of energy hacking for functionality and decisions that should be the owners. Not to mention even when the dvd is running it is second rate at best compared to other units on the market.

Yeah, I did note that another Porsche owner had speedo problems. But that aside as an *additional* problem and burden we bear, doesn't have anything to do with the exceptionally poor routing these NAV units provide. I mean, the reason you buy a nav unit is for nav, right? That it is a crippled crummy nav just adds to the insult.

I did contact Pioneer with all my problems and comments. Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.
I am sorry to hear the problems you have experienced with the AVIC-Z1.
I will forward your comments to the product planning division. I am sure your
comments will be looked at closely and considered for future product changes.

Thank You,

Rocky
Customer Service Representative

Justs adds to my irritation, no customer service.

By the way, in addition to everything else the door rattles when you incline it while driving for good visibility.

[quote name="jdpdata"]I don't really think you need to hack the Z1 to update it. If Pioneer is nice, they'll let you download an update, burn it to CD-R, and update the Z1. They already confirm that they'll update the GraceNote CDDB this way in the future.

Hey, I notice you and another guy (both with Porsche) are having the same speedo issue. Perhaps your car is not compatible with the Z1? Hence you're having horrible routing results. Have you contact Pioneer to see if this is the case?

I know some members on BMW forum had to do major dashboard cutting just to fit the Z1.[/quote]
Has anyone actually kept the E brake connected properly and still been able to do the light flash and have the bypass work???? I just tried it, and it was just like I started it the usual way without flashing the lights. I tried it 3 times, and yes I have been able to do it with the wire grounded. I reconnected the brake wire to ground and it works fine. I'd rather have it hooked up right AND do the bypass when I want to.
[quote name="KBryan"]Has anyone actually kept the E brake connected properly and still been able to do the light flash and have the bypass work???? I just tried it, and it was just like I started it the usual way without flashing the lights. I tried it 3 times, and yes I have been able to do it with the wire grounded. I reconnected the brake wire to ground and it works fine. I'd rather have it hooked up right AND do the bypass when I want to.[/quote]

It has been confirmed that with speedo wire and ebrake properly connected the light flash trick still works, it appears those that are having trouble are just getting the timing wrong.
[quote name="MChance000"]Obviously I am aware a nav update won't require a hack. Just seems everyone is spending a lot of energy hacking for functionality and decisions that should be the owners. Not to mention even when the dvd is running it is second rate at best compared to other units on the market.[/quote]

So far I've heard you complain a lot about the NAV but with no specifics. Whats wrong with the NAV?
I don't see whats the big deal about this bypass thing, the last thing I need is for me to be to be driving enjoying a good sandwhich and one of you car navi driving movie watchers not watching the road hit my car and the knock my sandwhich out of my hand and car and wreck everything, sheesh. :x :x :x :x