AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

F150 owner here.....

I havent had a chance to look behind my unit...but thatnk for the info. Now i am not going to waste my time messing around in an area that I know nothing about. I guess I will just go to a good installer and explain my situation to him.

Also, Ducati boy....did I read correctly that I CAN connect my parking brake wire normally so I can avoid the "unhooked" message at startup......and still get the bypass to work once I get my ILLUM wire connected??
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="southcounty"]
Also, Ducati boy....did I read correctly that I CAN connect my parking brake wire normally so I can avoid the "unhooked" message at startup......and still get the bypass to work once I get my ILLUM wire connected??[/quote]

Yes, I would recommend to keep the parking brake connected like it says in the instructions to avoid a possible "not connected properly" message. Then flashing your lights with the illumination line connected properly will bypass everything. Don't even touch your parking brake.... you can leave it "floating" not connected to anything, and just tape it up, but I connected it to the parking brake anyway, just incase I want to "ground" it some time.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="Herknav"]
Question, you have the E-brake wire attached or not?

Now, if only I could make 2 months go by real fast so I can get home to my cars...[/quote]

You can connect it like regular as it says in the manual.

I just noticed you were "deployed". Thanks a lot for doing that for us. We are all pulling for you and I hope the two monts goes fast for you too. Come home safe![/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Just ordered the Z1, Bluetooth, and XM Traffic from Crutchfield so it should be waiting for me when I get home.

Now, the hard part... I am trying to decide if I "need" this for my WRX too...
OK NOW I AM CONFUSED....YOU SAID TO CONNECT MY PARKING BRAKE WIRE LIKE THE MANUAL SAYS......

AND THEN YOU SAID DONT TOUCH IT... THAT I COULD LEAVE IT FLOATING.

I AM GOING RIGHT NOW TO HAVE THE INSTALLER RECONNECT MY PARKING BRAK AND THE ILLUM WIRE .....
Guest isdnmatt
Bypass works GREAT!! Thanks for all the information!!

This deck is absolutely awesome. Did anyone notice that if the bypass is completely successfully, you will see the Pioneer logo again when entering Navi mode.

Also, it says my parking brake is disconnected when the bypass is enabled although it is always grounded.

Can't say enough about the ipod 100, I never used it to its full capability with my N1.
[quote name="Anonymous"]OK NOW I AM CONFUSED....YOU SAID TO CONNECT MY PARKING BRAKE WIRE LIKE THE MANUAL SAYS......

AND THEN YOU SAID DONT TOUCH IT... THAT I COULD LEAVE IT FLOATING.

I AM GOING RIGHT NOW TO HAVE THE INSTALLER RECONNECT MY PARKING BRAK AND THE ILLUM WIRE .....[/quote]

Well owning an automatic, and not fully testing these things on more than my car has me confused too. Sorry for the learning curve. I'm learning the ins and outs of this as you all are too. There are bound to be confusion and growning pains. And you don't have to SHOUT, we can all hear you.

I did say to connect it like it said in the manual, but I don't use my parking brake at all (being an automatic and all). And it worked great. I just tested it and if the parking brake is on (that line grounded) the head light flashing doesn't work.

You can hook it up like in the manual if like me you never use your parking brake.

If you use your parking brake and you want to flash your headlights, you should leave it floating (not connected to anything) and just tape it up. If you plan on flashing your headlights when you turn on your car every time, you will be fine (with the parking brake not connected to anything). You might want to connect it to a toggle switch so you could ground it if you decided you wanted to at some point in the future.

But you don't want the parking brake grounded when flashing your lights. Not grounded all the time and not grounded by connecting it like the manual says and having the parking brake on. Either one of these will cause the flashing the lights trick not to work. I have heard rumors that if the parking brake line is not grounded when you start the car, and then flash your lights and some time while you are driving you have the parking brake line grounded (you apply the parking brake) the flash the lights bypass will be rendered inoperable for the remainder of the drive (till you turn the car off and back on again).
[quote name="isdnmatt"]Also, it says my parking brake is disconnected when the bypass is enabled although it is always grounded.
[/quote]

Really? I just tried it, grounding the parking brake and the headlight trick doesn't work. Are you sure that parking brake line is connected to ground?

Maybe there is more to this whole parking brake thing than I thought. Or maybe by having it grounded all the time, if you don't flash your headlights do you see the "warning your parking brake is not connected properly" message?
This weekend I will be rewiring some stuff in my car and I will disconnect the pbrake wire and let it float. I'll report back on the results and whether or not it gives the pbrake warning message when it's not connected. I can't imagine it will since its the same as leaving your parking brake off.
[quote name="edrock200"]This weekend I will be rewiring some stuff in my car and I will disconnect the pbrake wire and let it float. I'll report back on the results and whether or not it gives the pbrake warning message when it's not connected. I can't imagine it will since its the same as leaving your parking brake off.[/quote]

I believe that once you see that parking brake warning, you will see it forever untill you reset your unit.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="edrock200"]This weekend I will be rewiring some stuff in my car and I will disconnect the pbrake wire and let it float. I'll report back on the results and whether or not it gives the pbrake warning message when it's not connected. I can't imagine it will since its the same as leaving your parking brake off.[/quote]

I believe that once you see that parking brake warning, you will see it forever untill you reset your unit.[/quote]

I cut the line and let it float. As far as I can tell it's working fine with no issues and no warning. I really can't understand how it would ever know it's not connected unless it realizes after a certain amount of time that the parking brake was never set, however I never set my brake and it's never warned me. I just installed my BT unit too, more on that in another thread.
So, lemme get this straight...

If your parking brake IS connected and you use it (that is, the PARKING BRAKE - as I have a 6 speed), do you need to RELEASE the parking brake BEFORE starting the car (and flashing the lights) for the bypass to work, or leave the parking brake SET (ie: grounded) and start the car, do the flashy-thing, then release the parking brake to drive.

This is getting confusing now...

Rick
[quote name="SickRick"]So, lemme get this straight...

If your parking brake IS connected and you use it (that is, the PARKING BRAKE - as I have a 6 speed), do you need to RELEASE the parking brake BEFORE starting the car (and flashing the lights) for the bypass to work, or leave the parking brake SET (ie: grounded) and start the car, do the flashy-thing, then release the parking brake to drive.

This is getting confusing now...

Rick[/quote]

Sorry, it's something I didn't realize till yesterday either.

If your parking brake IS connected you need to release the parking brake before turning on your car. If your parking brake is set (ie grounded) and you start the car, the flashing thing WILL NOT WORK. You have to release the parking brake before flashing the lights. I have heard reports that once it's flashie-thinged if you use your parking brake later in your trip you could deactivate the cool flashie-thing.

So the best thing to do if you plan on doing the flashie-thing trick, leave the parking brake disconnected. Or connect it to a toggle switch or something.
Well we ran out of time this weekend to install it so by saturday it should be in. Had to remove all the RCA's and reran with the Stinger Video cables and RCA's. Had to run other video cables for the rest of the tv's. Installed the Sirius PNR2, and ran the sirisu & gsp antenna's. Then ran into a problem with the factory radio power wire is grounding out somewhere. Everything worked fine when I removed the old IconTV IDR5100 setup and 7" fold out screen a few months ago. So I'm just going to run a new 8-10 gauge power wire to run the deck and 6 screens. Hook the ignition power up to a switch so I can run the system without the key in. Need to grind out some more of the dash to fit the unit in, then grind the dash radio bezel piece so it fits the unit. And then probably have to use duramix on it to fill in some other gaps and have the piece repainted. So it will be in, just not looking pretty.