AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

[quote name="ducatiboy"]

Sorry, it's something I didn't realize till yesterday either.

If your parking brake IS connected you need to release the parking brake before turning on your car. If your parking brake is set (ie grounded) and you start the car, the flashing thing WILL NOT WORK. You have to release the parking brake before flashing the lights. I have heard reports that once it's flashie-thinged if you use your parking brake later in your trip you could deactivate the cool flashie-thing.

So the best thing to do if you plan on doing the flashie-thing trick, leave the parking brake disconnected. Or connect it to a toggle switch or something.[/quote]

This is NOT what I have seen. I have my parking brake grounded all the time and the car gives me the warning if I don't do the bypass. However, the bypass works consistantly with one flash during the Starting Pioneer Navigation.... screen. And the unit then shows the parking brake as disconnected although it is still grounded.

Matt
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="ducatiboy"]

Sorry, it's something I didn't realize till yesterday either.

If your parking brake IS connected you need to release the parking brake before turning on your car. If your parking brake is set (ie grounded) and you start the car, the flashing thing WILL NOT WORK. You have to release the parking brake before flashing the lights. I have heard reports that once it's flashie-thinged if you use your parking brake later in your trip you could deactivate the cool flashie-thing.

So the best thing to do if you plan on doing the flashie-thing trick, leave the parking brake disconnected. Or connect it to a toggle switch or something.[/quote]

This is NOT what I have seen. I have my parking brake grounded all the time and the car gives me the warning if I don't do the bypass. However, the bypass works consistantly with one flash during the Starting Pioneer Navigation.... screen. And the unit then shows the parking brake as disconnected although it is still grounded.

Matt[/quote]

This is kind of what I was thinking cause a few people have told me about this. I don't want to hack my car apart to test this but I think I have a handle on this. It might add some confusion so only read this if you really want to know what is happening.

1. If you hard wired the parking brake to ground all the time. And if you start seeing the warning saying your parking brake line is not connected correctly, then if you flash your lights (even thought the parking brake is grounded) it WILL work. I guess after the Z1 figures out that the parking brake is not connected correctly it doesn't look at it again and then doesn't care if it's grounded or not.

2. If your parking brake is NOT hard wired to ground (either floating or connected correctly to the parking brake like the manual says) and you DO NOT get the "your parking brake is not connected properly" message. If you have the parking brake grounded when you start the car (because the parking brake is on), the headlight flashing WILL NOT work. You need that line floating or NOT grounded for the headlight flashing to work.

So basically there are 2 ways of doing this. I would recommned either not connecting the parking brake to ground, or connect it to the parking brake correctly and don't use the parking brake, or connect it to a toggle switch and flip it if you ever need it (which you probably won't).

If the unit already determined that your parking brake line is not connected correctly, then it doesn't matter what it's connected to. If it thinks your parking brake IS connected correctly, you can NOT have it grounded when you flash your lights or it won't work.

This is the operation of this unit as I have seen it, if anyone sees something different feel free to post what you see, but I think I have this nailed down.
Hey guys I have a pic of my radio, I went to chinatown yesterday to see the avic z1 and if I could get it cheap those guys were trying to play games with me with the pricing so I left, I did get to see the unit and I measure how tall the avic z1 is and was exactly 4 inches and I measured my facotry radio and its 4 3/4 inches the width I didn't measure o the avic z1 cause I was busy talking with the guy. Am still thinking if it'll work maybe a little smaller and have a gap around it, what do you guys think?
sorry the pic isn't as good as I wanted it to come out.
I agree, it looks like there is plenty of room, I couldn't find a wiring harness or radio mounting kit, so you might need to get creative. But unless that thing is only 4 inches deep, I would think you could get it in there somehow.
Guest doron
so all i have to do is make sure my parking brake isnt on when i turn on the car and flash my lights 3 times before the unit starts up and then ill be able to use dvd while driving
when i do this will i be able to still use navigation
and is there anything i can do to be able to use nav controles while the car is driving
[quote name="doron"]so all i have to do is make sure my parking brake isnt on when i turn on the car and flash my lights 3 times before the unit starts up and then ill be able to use dvd while driving
when i do this will i be able to still use navigation
and is there anything i can do to be able to use nav controles while the car is driving[/quote]

You don't need 3 times (you only need one), but if you don't have the timing down right a couple times wouldn't hurt (I believe it's turn on car, wait 3 seconds, lights on for 1.25 seconds, off for 2... ish... or if you feel better as soon as you start the car, start flashing, it should hit it). Yes leave the parking brake off, flash the lights and nothing is locked out.
Guest Guest
Simplest way is start your car, wait for that line of text that says Staring Pioneer ........ (on top on the screen). As soon as that comes on, flash once.... does not matter how fast you turn the light off, or off at all. But if you wait till the blue Pioneer graphics screens shows up, that is too late
Got the unit installed in my 97 F150. There is an orange (dimmer) wire on the factory adaptor harness, but no illumination wire. I had to run a wire over to the headlight switch and tap into the white/red wire. I left the parking break floating (my truck is a stick). I didn't get the bypass module yet. But I did try the 1 flick of the parking lights and it does work. I love this thing. I haven't used the nav yet. Just put it on map mode while I was driving around and it is dead on to where I'm at. Like if I come up to an intersection or something, the arrow is right there where I am at. Now I just need to read the book a few times while messing with the unit to get everything figured out. I'm contemplating on getting a Z1 for my daily driver as well now.

I gotta get the trim bezel in it cause there's a slight gap. Also waiting on some other interior parts back from the paint shop. So that will happen this weekend and I'll get some pics.

ducatiboy,
Thanks for all your help and knowledgeable posts.