AVIC411.com

Bypass instructions for the Z1

Guest Jamesdat

Guest Guest
I Have had my Avic-Z1 since mid April and still haven't been able to hook up up my dvd/tv tuner while driving. I have hooked up to a Grounded wire with a switch on it. I have tried the light switch when the startup screen apears and still can't work for me?? I drive a 03 jetta and has a safety feature of running day lights on, so What can I do?[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="03Aviator"]I REALLY don't think you will ever see Pioneer fix this bypass. This is something they WANT to have out. It sells units! I for one would never buy one of these if I couldn't use the NAV features while in motion. What a waste without it. Just like the original hack for the D1 was leaked by a Pioneer rep...don't be surprised if this one wasn't too.

Ducatiboy...I think you said you installed your unit in an Aviator. That's what I want to put it in too (an 03). If you don't mind, I would like to PM or email you about what you found necessary to purchase so I can get everything ordered at once and get it right the first time. I will also want one of your bypass kits. Did you by the PAC unit to hardwire the steering wheel controls too? Have to have those!!

Your time and effort spent on this board is exemplary and I commend you for all your hard work. Not many would have been so willing.

By the way....since this bypass has to be done during boot up, I honestly feel there is some validity to one of the original posts regarding a bios upgrade...but we never heard another word. I think that may be the ultimate "hack" to this.[/quote]

No problem. Yes I have it in an 03 Aviator, and it fits great.
[url=http://www.sminnick.com/AviatorRadio/]http://www.sminnick.com/AviatorRadio/[/url]

I got the standard Crutchfield wiring harness for that and the adapter kit. I had ordered the Z1 from them but when other people had started getting it in and Crutchfield did not, I canceled my order after I had received all the free instructions and harnesses and all.

I got the SWI-PS and wired it in, the instructions from PAC for an 03 aviator are WRONG though, the harness is not like they list it in the instructions, look at the Lincoln LS I believe. Just look for a Lincoln with a 20 pin harness, which is what the Aviator has. They say it has a 24 pin which is wrong. But the instructions for any other lincoln with the 20 pin harness is correct.

It was pretty streight forward of an install. You pry off the little rectangular part on the top of the dash, then there are 2 screws under it and the whole face plate pops off. Then pop off the part with the clock, unscrew the radio and it comes right out.[/quote]
  • Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Guest"]I Have had my Avic-Z1 since mid April and still haven't been able to hook up up my dvd/tv tuner while driving. I have hooked up to a Grounded wire with a switch on it. I have tried the light switch when the startup screen apears and still can't work for me?? I drive a 03 jetta and has a safety feature of running day lights on, so What can I do?[/quote]

I'm not sure what you are hooking up to a grounded wire with a switch, but if it's your parking brake then disconnect it, that doesn't work and you want the parking brake wire disconnected or if it's connected to the parking brake, don't use the parking brake.

Second, if you have the message about your parking brake wire not connected correctly, reset the unit till that goes away.

Third, make sure that when you turn on your lights, the unit dims and the nav goes into night mode.

If you have all that and turning on the headlights puts the unit into night mode:

Start your car,

Wait till you see the "starting pioneer navigation" text and then

turn on your lights

Or

Start the car, turn your lights on immediately

Wait till you see the "starting pioneer navigation" text and then

Turn off the lights.

If everything is wired correctly it's just your timing is off.

If turning on your headlights doesn't put the nav into night mode then your ILLUMINATION wire is not installed correctly or not at all. You need to hook that to the correct wire in your car so flashing your lights will be "seen" by the head unit.

Or you can buy one of my circuits to do it automatically for you:
[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166[/url]
  • 1 month later...
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="outatime"]Going to have a dig around tomorrow morning and see if I can't get this all sorted out, have posted a message on a mustang forum to try and find the correct wire to use but from what I can make out its a wire from the headlights switch that goes from 0V to 12v when the lights are on/off.[/quote]

It might still be the correct wire. When it's dark and you turn on the headlights does the Z1 dim? Does the driver's view change the sky? I don't know how the illumination wire works for every car. Or exactly which wire it is. Does the illumination trigger the Z1 at night time?

[quote name="outatime"]So the orange/white z1 harness wire is ok for 12v ? I don't want to fry anything![/quote]

It might be the correct wire. It might not be. If it's registering "low" or "off" on the illumination line, it should be fine. You have at most 14.5Volts in that car somewhere. And that line is a sense line. You could probably hook just about anything to it and not fry it. And if you haven't fried it by now, it's probably not going to hurt anything.[/quote]

Ok I just installed this in my 06 Mustang GT today. Circuit works great as far as the bypass goes. I cannot however get the illumination working correctly. I will say that it wasnt working correctly even before I installed this mod, so its of no fault of ducatiboy. From what I gather, the illumination coming off the wiring harness is useless and does nothing. I checked it out at night as well as in the day to see if there was a light sensor of some sort and have determined that there isnt any. I get the same results at night as I do in the day, The unit stays in "daylight" mode all the time. Has anyone out there with a 05+ mustang been able to get the auto lights working? I really dont want to mod in a switch, but its beginning to look like my only option. If anyone out there with a stang can point me in the right direction (and tell me what wire is switched from 0-12v by the headlight switch) I would appriciate it.

Thanks.
Worse comes to worse, you can tap off the positive wire for the parking lights (which might require running a wire to the rear of the car). But if you email or pm this guy: [url=http://avic411.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=747]http://avic411.com/forum/profile.php?mo ... file&u=747[/url] He seems to be more knowledgable about car wiring than anyone I have seen. And he also seems to go out of his way to help people find this kind of thing.
Ok I just installed this in my 06 Mustang GT today. Circuit works great as far as the bypass goes. I cannot however get the illumination working correctly. I will say that it wasnt working correctly even before I installed this mod, so its of no fault of ducatiboy. From what I gather, the illumination coming off the wiring harness is useless and does nothing. I checked it out at night as well as in the day to see if there was a light sensor of some sort and have determined that there isnt any. I get the same results at night as I do in the day, The unit stays in "daylight" mode all the time. Has anyone out there with a 05+ mustang been able to get the auto lights working? I really dont want to mod in a switch, but its beginning to look like my only option. If anyone out there with a stang can point me in the right direction (and tell me what wire is switched from 0-12v by the headlight switch) I would appriciate

I have an 06 GT and had it installed this weekend. For illumination to work you have to wire into the headlight switch. Do not run it to the rear like ducitboy said since you can just hook into the headlight switch. I did this and the dimmimg works great and I can bypass by turning on my lights. Hope this helps.

Jeff
[quote name="cobra4548"]Ok I just installed this in my 06 Mustang GT today. Circuit works great as far as the bypass goes. I cannot however get the illumination working correctly. I will say that it wasnt working correctly even before I installed this mod, so its of no fault of ducatiboy. From what I gather, the illumination coming off the wiring harness is useless and does nothing. I checked it out at night as well as in the day to see if there was a light sensor of some sort and have determined that there isnt any. I get the same results at night as I do in the day, The unit stays in "daylight" mode all the time. Has anyone out there with a 05+ mustang been able to get the auto lights working? I really dont want to mod in a switch, but its beginning to look like my only option. If anyone out there with a stang can point me in the right direction (and tell me what wire is switched from 0-12v by the headlight switch) I would appriciate

I have an 06 GT and had it installed this weekend. For illumination to work you have to wire into the headlight switch. Do not run it to the rear like ducitboy said since you can just hook into the headlight switch. I did this and the dimmimg works great and I can bypass by turning on my lights. Hope this helps.

Jeff[/quote]

Does any part of the headlight switch feed out to where the radio mounts? or do I have to run it literally all the way from the switch? Thats quite a bit of ripping apart the dash. Suppose I will do that if it comes down to it tho.

Thanks for the info so far.
I had the same problem with my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. The wiring harness / connector that companies are offering that should work with the Fords put the dimmer wire in the connector where Ford USED to put the dimmer signal. Apparently, Ford moved the dimmer wire one hole up on the Ford connector. Also, they don't send 12V to the radio anymore. The dimmer signal, for full bright, was around 3.6V.

I ended up running a wire from the light that illuminates the P R N D 3 2 1 display on the console up to the wire going into the AVIC for dimmer. The console illumination had 12V and dims when I turn the dimmer, so I just tapped that. Worked fine!

BTW, Ducati's device has been working, solidly, for 6 weeks now. Thanks for the great idea and quick ship!
I don't know if theres a place where we could put this where it would be more accessable for the masses, but I have the answer, at least for the 06 mustang. Someone suggested on a Mustang Forum that I tap into Pin2 of the headlight switch. Yesterday I grabbed my voltmeter and was able to confirm that Pin2 is the correct pin to tap into for this purpose. Today I ran the wire from pin2 of the headlight switch to the White wire on flasher circuit. It works like a charm. I dont know about other ford vehicles, but for 05-06 Mustangs this should do the trick. Thanks to everyone who helped out.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="inlacal"]Can anyone confirm that AVIC Z1 units that have come out in the last week to two weeks do NOT work when you try the illumination bypass? None of the units (three) that I purchased in the last two weeks respond to this. Please advise. Chris inlacal@yahoo.com[/quote]

Yes you are right, there is a problem with the new units. I posed something on my web site:
[url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1problem.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1problem.html[/url]

It's also posted on this forum in many places:
[url=http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1278]http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1278[/url]
[url=http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1561]http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1561[/url]
[url=http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1433]http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1433[/url]
[quote name="inlacal"]Can anyone confirm that AVIC Z1 units that have come out in the last week to two weeks do NOT work when you try the illumination bypass? None of the units (three) that I purchased in the last two weeks respond to this. Please advise. Chris inlacal@yahoo.com[/quote]

This is not good news. You may need to purchase the units at stores that do not turn over units as much...avoid the big box stores.
Actually don't avoid the big box stores; they're the ones with their own warehouses and large inventories. I got mine a week ago at Circuit City and it is an April '06 unit. They pull out of their own inventory and only reorder from Pioneer when the warehouse is out. The small stores don't keep any inventory; 6ave has had July '06 units for quite some time now.
  • 4 weeks later...
I own a 2004 Mazda 3 and purchased the Z-1 in early August. And I believe I have a Newer model Z1. Heres my problem and hopefully someone can help. Earlier this month I had my Z1 running withouth the VSS wire connected. I did the light flashing and it worked well at least I thought it did. It worked for about 20 min. then the parking brake warning came up and the bypassed features stopped working. I thought that not having the VSS wire hooked up was the cause of the shut down of the bypass. So I hooked up the VSS wire and now the bypass doesn't work at all. What can I do to fix this issue? Is there a way to fix the bypass with the VSS connected? Is there a way to fix the bypass with the VSS disconnected? Anyone please help.