AVIC411.com

been one week and d-3 stolen

it's been one week, and i was just getting into get used to it and it's stolen.

front driver side is broken and a$$hole broke the dash trim, made scratches everywhere and avic d-3 is long gone.

i have reported to police and fingerprint will be taken later this afternoon. i donno if ipod is taken or not, cause i didn't want to open the center armrest....also the stock radio was in the trunk but it's still there...stupid motherf@#$!

however, gps antenna, xm antenna, btb-200 is still there...good thing i had it hidden....

*sigh*

• 2 weeks later...
it's been one week, and i was just getting into get used to it and it's stolen.

front driver side is broken and a$$hole broke the dash trim, made scratches everywhere and avic d-3 is long gone.

i have reported to police and fingerprint will be taken later this afternoon. i donno if ipod is taken or not, cause i didn't want to open the center armrest....also the stock radio was in the trunk but it's still there...stupid motherf@#$!

however, gps antenna, xm antenna, btb-200 is still there...good thing i had it hidden....

*sigh*

you know...i'm sure the police will think of this themselves but....

in my hometown a really popular car stereo/wireless shop was shutdown and the newspaper did a piece on it...apparently the shop was also acting as a fence...customers would come in - buy all this sweet gear and get it installed. the shop would keep the customer's info (name, addy, license, etc) and then give it out so people could target the car and steal the new gear. the shop was taking the stolen gear and then selling it out of town, apparently.

went on for quite awhile. i think what the tip was that a larger and larger number of the stolen reports had bought gear at the same shop...

anyway, that was VA, couple years back.

ya might want to think about that shop/installer you used. just sayin'.

Your insurance, aside from the deductible should cover it.

Also, check on ebay to see if there's a used unit for sale w/o the cabling. Maybe you'll catch the thief! Hopefully you have the box and the registration card with the serial # of your unit.

Toki.. really sorry to hear that about your AVIC. I've been kinda worried too, and I park my car under a camera at work now. At home, I don't really have that option, but it's just outside my window.

I had a $35 radio yanked out of my car a few years ago... I would have friggin given it to them if they had knocked on my door. Instead, I had about $800 worth of damage to the door. Break the window, already..not the lock!

Cheers, bud. I hope your deductable was low. I just called my agent after reading this thread.

Thieves are not generally rocket scientists. I would not be surprised if they hit the local dealer to get the rest of the pieces that they need.

I had a truck broken into some 15 years ago. The way I tell the story is it wasn't the radio missing that bothered me as I had insurance for that. It was the fact they broke my window and I caught a cold while driving to and from work waiting for the new window. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 word, insurance and receipts

i made sure my carrier (just got a new one) covered it and they cover anything 1000$ and less (no deduct) so long as u have the receipts... im also taking the car back to have pictures taken once i get my AVIC installed again so they have it on their records

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

heres an installer trick or at least i do it on all high end radios. some radios come with these back straps or you can pick up at home depot and i think its called plumbers strap. it is like 1/2 inch wide and has alot of holes in it. attach to back of radio and bend it so it will poke out towards the bottom of the dash. once you have the radio installed and the starp sticking out the bottom of the dash cut it to fit and put a screw threw the strap into the lower dash or any place thats strong not just plastic. they may screw up your trim etc etc but they wont get the radio with out finding that one screw holding the hole thing in.

just my 2 sence

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sucks man. Sorry.

I've been working on something with a photo of my OEM HU, a thin cardboard backer and a cap from an apple juice bottle (painted to match the OEM dial). Haven't done much with it yet, but reading through these threads makes me wanna do something soon.

One week? Ouch!