AVIC411.com

Problems with my D3 install.

I recently had my D3 installed by a local shop. I don't think it's working that well, but before I take it in, I want to make sure I've at least got my problems straight so I can tell them what they did wrong.

1. Unit does not dim with my lights. Also, when headlights get turned on, the map still stays bright. VERY annoying at night. Under Hardware info or something, I found the field: "Illumination -- Off". Can I assume they just didn't hook up that wire.

2. Nav is crappy at placing my vehicle. Frequently lags behind where I really am. (i.e., map says I'm crossing intersection X, but I really crossed it a minute ago). Anyway, when I look at the 'gauges' sometimes the speed matches my car, but sometimes it's waaay under. Furthermore, the same Hardware Info place mentioned above says "Speed Sensor -- 0" or something to that effect. Driving around, whatever, it always stays on 0. Did they also just fail to hook up my VSS wire.

Thanks for any help you guys have!

I'll post some pics of the completed thing once they straighten that out and some of the things on the audio side too.

i think that vss is going to be canbus, which means you will need an adapter. just make sure the gps antenna is mounted in a visible location so that it can get a good sat signal. under hardware check the gps connection, you should always have at least 4. without vss the nav will be off by a few feet, but without buying the canbus adapter, theres no other choice. this is how it is in my 06 audi a4, until i finally get the adapter.

dimmer should be no issue for them to correct.

Hmmm, some guys on Caymanclub.net are indicating that there MAY be a speed sensor wire available.

If not, is there an english source for this canbus adapter?

i tried grabbing vss at my instrument cluster in my audi, which i know is possible in the b6 chassis. it wasnt in my b7. pac adapter makes the canbus adapter