AVIC411.com

What can you do while driving?

In case I've not made it obvious in my last posts, I don't have the AVIC-N3 (or any nav unit for that matter) yet. So all I know, I've learned from Pioneer and this Web site. I've heard that most functionality while driving is locked out (w/o the bypass), so I was wondering: What can you do while driving? For example, can you:

-Look up McDonalds or a rest stop without parking, while traveling?

-Zoom/Pan the map while driving?

What else can you do? What things can you not do that you wish you could on a regular basis (if you don't have the bypass)? And, can you mess with your MP3-CD files while driving? (To pick a song that wouldn't usually come "next.") Sorry so many questions, just wondering about important "little things" before I spend a bundle on this thing.

It already sucks that I've gotta spend 100 more bucks on a dvd recorder (USB one for the laptop). Does anyone have an extra (working) one around that they'd be willing to sell cheap? I would prefer the Dual Layer function if I can get it, in case I decide to hack my AVIC-n3.

Thanks,
Mike
yeah I still haven't installed my n2, which I have ready to be installed. But while I wait I can't help but wonder what exactly I can and can't do with this unit while in motion. My basic necessity is that I can control my ipod while moving, but no one has ever really answered whether or not I can?
[quote name="Anonymous"]thanks jason, that helps a lot. What if you already have addresses stored in the unit, can you switch from one address to another to be routed while you're driving?[/quote]

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: You can assign the "go to" button to a address/place. The go to button is the only nav button becides return home that can be used while driving.
  • 4 weeks later...
The voice recognition mic might be a good purchase for those of you worried about doing nav functions while moving. Then you can do searches, access your address book, etc.

[quote name="JasonH"]You can do anything related to audio.

You can NOT play video, type in a address, or search for a destination.[/quote]
  • 3 weeks later...