AVIC411.com

How To: Find your Vehicle's VSS Wire.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Ok I have a 2004 chrysler crossfire, should be the same as a 2003 mb slk 320.

Any ideas?

Did the stock radio have the "gets louder as you go faster thing"?

If it does, the VSS will be wired into the radio allready and will be included in your vehicles wire harness.

To add my .02 the vss wire is not under normal circumstances pinned in an aftermarket harness. The best bet as far as testing for the vss wire is to grab a meter set it to ac voltage. Ground the negative probe and probe your suspect wire. put the car in drive and watch the reading. It should fluctuate with vehicle speed.

• 2 weeks later...

VW's aren't listed on that site, but I found the info elsewhere, the VSS wire is located in the 32 pin connector on the back of the gauge cluster. Its pin #3, on my car (2005 GTI) its blue with white tracer, but other pictures I've seen its white with a blue tracer. Make sure not to have the key in the ignition while the connector is removed or it will cause an airbag fault requiring a trip to the dealer to reset (so I've read). Got the info from www.vwnavi.com in case other VW folks need other info (not sure how common the color/location is across other models).

Admin Edit: Fixed the Link.

Any ideas?

If it does, the VSS will be wired into the radio allready and will be included in your vehicles wire harness.

Is that the case for all cars with that feature? My Yukon had that. Is there way to test?

Thanks, that would be great if this worked.

-Scott

Any ideas?

Is that the case for all cars with that feature? My Yukon had that. Is there way to test?

Thanks, that would be great if this worked.

-Scott

Depends on the year of the yukon. Though if you can fit the d1/d2/z1 in the truck, then no you can't get it at the radio harness.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Greg-

The Z1 (and almost all other permanent nav systems) use what is referred to as dead-reckoning to provide a more precise indication of where you are located. Contrary to popular belief, the system does not continuously track the satellites it can see, rather it gets periodic updates to as to where it is located on the Earth's surface. By tying into the vehicles speed, the nav system can use the previous known location and heading from the satellite to determine how far the vehicle has travelled.

Dead-reckoning combined with the internal gyroscope also makes the system much more accurate when it can't get a good fix on location from the satellites (like in a tunnel, or downtown in a large city).