AVIC411.com

Proper introduction

Having joined April 6th of this year and looking at the few posts I have made I realized I never made a proper introduction of myself. I apologize and here it is.

I'm a real late thirty something year old who is now getting to enjoy life a little. I'm an avid motorcyclist weather it is riding, wrenching or spectating. I can't say I have a brand loyalty however I do prefer Harley's but would own and ride anything you left in my garage. My Pioneer AVIC experience comes via an installation in one of my bikes (I own four). The unit is installed in a 2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide. I've owned the unit for two years now and I'm learning more of its capabilities each time I use it.

I went with the Pioneer over other options as it was an all in one system. This as opposed to the guys you see with MP3 players, Nav units and what not attached to their handle bars. This made my installation a clean setup.

Having installed a automobile head unit in a motorcycle has presented itself with its own set of challenges. Because of the angle of the unit when installed I can not see the front display during the day. No big deal as I just open the screen. Screen vibration was a concern but the unit appears to do a very good job of handling it. The voice prompt is very hard to hear at full speed with a helmet on. This is something I'll start a thread on as I have an idea I need some assistance with.

Well that is enough babbling for now. I look forward to picking your brains on AVIC information. Be patient with me as I'm a chimney/fireplace builder not an electronics wiz.......

post-6542-12872752508521_thumb.jpg

AS far as your sound problem goes, do you have one of those helmets with builtin headphones?

Sort of.

The voice direction does not travel through the speaker outputs. This I know for fact as it doesn't make any noise in my helmet as the music does.

You sure you have the voice guidance turned on, cause it has in every other n3 I've installed.

It is on because I can hear it just fine without my ear phones in. Keep in mind without ear phones I run the radio in the 50's volume wise and at about 9 with the ear phones!

It is baffling to say the least.

Update:

As per all of your suggestions I went out this morning and started checking out the possibilities. The voice command from one speaker made sense so I started there. The voice does indeed come out of the car speakers as suggested above as opposed to what I thought was a internal speaker. With some more testing I found that the voice comes from the front channel only not the rears. This is why I wasn't hearing it in my headphones as they are driven off of the rear outputs. So I swapped my connections and than realized that I would not be able to hear the voice unless I had my headphones in. This won't work either. So I took the left front and right rear and made them a pair as well as vise-versa for the other pair. Since it is on a motorcycle I'm only driving one pair of speakers anyway (for now). It works, I hear voices in my helmet! :D:lol:

A better setup would be to have a switch that I could switch from speakers to headphones but as a quick fix this will do until I add rear speakers for my wife. Thanks for the input as it pointed me in the right direction.

Hi and welcome.

I am also an avid Harley Rider. Curretly I ride a 2002 sportster 1200 custom and a 1998 Dyna Low Rider.

I am trailoring the bike to Laconia New Hampshire for bike week in June.

Should be a blast.

That's pretty cool that you installed a unit in the road glide.

Anyway welcome, and enjoy

-Beep