AVIC411.com

2007 Expedition with factory DVD

Hey all,

I'm wanting to install a Z1 in my new 07 expedition, but I have the factory DVD installed and Crutchfield insists that the factory DVD will be dead if I install an aftermarket head unit. This can't be true? I don't care about listening to the factory DVD over the speakers, I can use the wireless headphones in back for that, I just want to make sure that it still works.

Anyone have any info on adapters or whatever that I would need?

Also, anyone have any info on the wiring pinout? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Russell

I have an 02 Excursion with a factory DVD player. It's hooked up to my AVIC D2. It works better than the factory system. I can watch DVD's on my AVIC being played on the factory DVD player. I can listen to satellite or reg. radio while kids watch DVD using headphones. You can also use your factory steering wheel controls. Crutchfield is wrong, you probably have to get it installed by a pro.

BTW, my brother-in-law is a road shop manager at Circuit City, he also told me it wouldn't work.

Gotcha!

That's the problem. I've talked to a couple places and noone seems to be aware of how to do it. One really high-end place said it could be done, but quoted me $700 to install the unit and steering wheel controls :shock: Though they do a lot of their installs on Ferrari's and Aston Martin's so I'm sure it would be a quality install :)

Russell,

I have an '05 Navigator and I believe the wiring is nearly the same as your Expedition. I installed a D3 myself last month. I have the factory DVD and to get it to power on, I used the Metra 70-5520AV harness.

I also have the video that is playing on the factory DVD playing on the D3 as well. To do that, I took a 12' long RCA video cable and cut the end of one side. I tapped that end into the factory DVD and ran the other end to the video input on the D3.

I'll send you a step by step guide if you are inetersted.

John

So,

After finally getting hold of someone at Metra, they told me the factory dvd player is completely independant of the factory stereo. That is, if you remove the factory head unit, the factory dvd will still function as normal, but the audio will only go out of the headphones. No additional harness needed.

1 quirck though, the factory harness does not have a 12V accessory lead, so you have to run one yourself from under the steering column :( Not a big deal, but a PITA though. I guess it has something to do with how the retained accessory power works but I'm not sure.

The other cool thing is that the factory sub amp uses low level inputs so there is no need for a line level converter or other magic box :)

I'm still looking for the wiring diagram though, so that I can identify VSS, reverse, brake, and the DVD pinout to see if I can get DVD audio into the new headunit.

Russell

After your first post, I did actually stop by bestbuy to talk to their installers. My local bestbuy is a bit more highend and their installer was actually in his mid 30's and had been installing "profesionally" for 9 years. Anyhow, they gave me a price quote of $400 including the steering wheel interface. Not too bad, but I think I can install this unit without too much effort. I've always installed my own systems in the past. The only thing that bothered me was the DVD and factory amps, but now that Metra has cleared that up for me, I think I'm set.

Still looking for the factory pinouts though :)

Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Russell,

Have you had any luck getting this to work ? I am currently looking to buy an 07 expedition with a factory rear entertainment system (DVD).. Then have a D3 intalled. However, I am being told by the ford dealer, and their installer that it cannot be done since the factory radio has a data link to the rear enterainment system.. so net/net.. if i install the avic d3, by rear system is dead. It sounds like you had the same issue and it was solved ? Did it work ? Thanks...