AVIC411.com

Sub connection 2007 Ford Edge W/Audiophile

Purchased the Scosche harness "kit" (FDK11B), which has the power/speaker harness AND the audiophile sub harness.

fdk11b_1.jpg

The audophile sub harness FITS but the pins used in the Scosche harness do not match up with the wires in the factory harness, so some "re-pinning" is necessary.

Does anyone have access to the wiring diagram for the Ford Edge? There are 4 wires in the "Audiophile" harness. One of them is a bare wire which I believe is some kind of noise suppression. I believe two others are +/- mono input, and the last is the remote turn-on. The only problem is that I don't know which is which. I tried what I thought would be correct and it didn't work.

Apprecaite any help.

Ike

get the metra 70-5521 harness. they are pinned right

Thanks for the quick reply MisFit. But are you 100% sure? I purchased the harness from Scosche and then another one from a car audio store in California that said they were SURE it would work - and it didn't. It was identical to the Scosche harness.

Here's what the Metra harness looks like. Looks exactly like the Scosche harness to me:

70-5521.jpg

The factory harness has 8 slots - 4 on top and 4 on bottom. There are only 4 wires, all across the top of the harness. The 4 slots at the bottom are totally unused.

The aftermarket harness also has 8 slots, 4 on top and 4 on bottom, but it uses some pins on the top and some pins on the bottom.

It's not a matter of unused wires. It's a matter that the used wires don't match up correctly. For sure, Ford changed something on the audiophile system of the 2007 Edge. It's not the same as previous model Fords with the Audiophile system.

i just bought an edge and the harness didnt look any different to me. except that i dont have the audiophile setup with the subwoofer, but it had the extra harness anyway

Yes, the large harness/connector with the power wires and speaker wires works OK. THe problem is with the smaller subwoofer harness/connector.

does it use the same pins on both rows?

Yes, it does, so maybe it is pinned correctly after all and I just use 1/2 of the wires for the MONO sub - and maybe the scosche harness is made for MONO or STEREO?

THe only problem is.. when I connected it up using the wires that were matched up, the sub "Thumped" when the head unit was turned on and I didn't hear any music from the sub. Only a screaching noise. I assumed that I sent power down the wrong wire.

if this is what your scoche harness looks like then you are fine. it is made for mono or dual subs. just use the ones that match your car harness and put a 3k ohm resistor between the blue white of the avic and the one from the scoche harness

post-5223-12872752528849_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's it. So, I need a resistor in-line on the remote turn-on?.... I'll give that a try. Wonder why the AVIC installation manual makes no mention of this?

Since the car has a mono sub with a mono input and the AVIC has a stereo signal output for the subwoofer, can I just use a "Y" adapter and combine the two outputs of the AVIC into 1 mono output ?

no, just use the one that matches up. the resistor is because the ford system is only 5v and the avis puts out 12v. thats why you get that thump

btw, how do you like your edge? this is mine, 2 weeks old

post-5223-12872752529568_thumb.jpg

no, just use the one that matches up. the resistor is because the ford system is only 5v and the avis puts out 12v. thats why you get that thump

btw, how do you like your edge? this is mine, 2 weeks old

The AVIC has 2 RCA connectors for the subwoofer? Are they both mono? If not, then only connecting one will miss the other half of the stereo signal.

Our Edge is also 2 weeks old. We got the Creme Brulee color. Love it. Very nice and very nicely priced Crossover. Yours looks great.

ive always only hooked up one and never had a problem

But sometimes you don't know what you're missing until you get it all !

I know in my home theater stereo receiver, it has 2 subwoofer outputs, one for the left channel and one for the right channel. And if I only use one mono sub, I have to configure the receiver to have a proper mono output that contains the bass from both channels.

It would be nice to know for certain if the sub output of the AVIC is mono and the exact same signal is on both of the RCA outputs.