AVIC411.com

navigation is off by a 100 feet, any fixes?

hi there,

my D3 runs great except for the navigation being a little off. like the length of a intersection, 2 lengths. is there a way to improve this. i usually have all satellites lit up in orange. i do have the VSS cable connected but i dont know how to verify in the unit that its working? is there a way to tell? any other tips on how to correct this would be great.

I dont have my reverse cable connected either even tho it says low in the status. i read somewhere that that might compound the VSS info. not sure if thats true. for all i know VSS doesnt even effect this.

thanks guys

Connect the reverse wire. It will make the system more accurate. When the sat indicators are orange, it means that the connection is not solid.

Where is your ant mounted? If it's on the dash or rear deck, It might not have a good ground plane. The stick on foil that comes with the antenna is a joke. I experienced some problems with my Z1 at first with the antenna mounted on the dash. I fixed it by putting a 2"x 4"x 1/4" piece of steel flat bar on my dash close to the windshield and setting the antenna on that giving it enough ground plane. This trick also worked for the xm antenna.

I have the same problem, but not by 100 feet. Maybe only by like...30-50 at the most. Usually when I'm in the middle of the intersection, the map shows im just entering it. I think there is a calibration, going to have to look in the manual. Is there anywhere you can put that antenna? looks pretty ugly just sitting on the dash with that big magnet.

• 2 weeks later...
so i have good sats, speed pulse is work. is there any way to adjust the unit. like calibrate it? or are you stuck with with what your given in terms of accuracy? i have the antenna on my dash.

thanks guys

My AVIC D2 is off about 10 meters or so. It has always been that way and I have VSS, reverse gear hooked up with excellent sat signal strength so I think that is just indicative of the unit itself.

About you sat antenna. You can mount that thing inside your dash to hide it out of the way. The plastic in your dash will not hinder the sat signal. Just don't mount it under any metal braces or anything.

First of all, make sure your antenna has a clear path to the sats and make sure it is mounted securely in position (mounted and doesn't move). The unit will self calibrate over time to compensate for the ant being crooked or backwards.

Next, Clear out the vehicle dynamics memory. Go to Settings, Hardware Info, Calibration Screen (shows speed sense, mileage traveled, etc.). To the right of each of the three readings hit CLEAR. Clear them all out and drive. This make the system relearn the car from scratch. Should be done everytime the unit is installed into a new or different vehicle.

If the problem still persists, disconnect the speed sense wire and clear out again. This will make the unit run in simple hybrid mode. Note: It is not reccommended to not use this wire if you live in mountainous areas or travel through tunnels, etc areas where the antenna cannot link up the majority of the time. The speed sense wire is to keep the unit with an educated guess when the ant is out of reception. Just watch your Connection acreen and see how many sats you are linked to the majority of the time. This wire is usually more trouble than it is worth.

Finally, after this you can go in to the setting screen and find the modify location button and fine tune it if still neccessary.

Hope all of this info is helpful to you guys. I had to learn it all the hard way with a few calls to Pioneer tech. :lol: