AVIC411.com

I just recently hooked up my XBOX 360 in my truck to my Avic N3. It works, and picture looks pretty good (kinda small though). The problem that I am having is with the sound. Any kind of sound whether it be Movies, Games, or Music... it creates a static noise that is rather annoying, and definatly takes away from the effects of the subwoofers in the back pounding your chest in HALO as you are shooting and blowing things up! lol

Anybody have any ideas?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard actually right after my post, its possible with the Avic's that the Alternate INPUTS are not properly grounded. I was told an effective solution would be to solder a small gauge wire to the outputs (possibly just audio) to a groundable source. Just enough to ground the audio inputs from the XBOX360 to the AVICN3.

Before I attempt this, any ideas on this being legit, or any other ideas to solve this issue?

Ahhh! Yes, I hope to get a sticky for this, as it took me FOREVER to figure it out! Its actually a long strenuous task, but well worth it. This way you can play any song, any band, and movie, any game... and NEVER have to take the NAVDISK out.

I bought a USB interfaced 500 GB HD

Formatted it to mac filesystem

Downloaded a Windows to MAC file transfer software

So now I have my XBOX360 (which IRONICALLY reads the mac filesystem!!! This is for IPODS, is my assumption) connected to a 500 GB external HD (formatted to HCS+?). Then transfered all my mp3's, movies, and pictures to the external HD. And now, all my music can be listened to in my truck on the fly, w/o any change of cd or dvd.

NOW, my only problem is.. STATIC from the inputs on the AVIC N3

well first off, DO NOT connect some ground to that as described. If pioneer intended that they would have given you a ground. If theres a problem with your unit, send it in for repair before ****** (I edited the word) rigging it. The audio is an ac signal, thus possibly introducing a bit more noise since the converter may or may not be good. for the sake of trouble shooting this, try sitting in your garage, with an extension cord plugged into the 360 for power, and connect a/v as you would for the n3, see if you get that static. If not, you can blame your ac/dc converter.

Well, taking tillithz's advice... I did not connect any grounds yet. I dont think its a problem with the unit after what was done, or a problem with the XBOX. With the idea from tillithz, I decided to plug the XBOX 360 into an oulet in the garage, and then connect it to the AVIC-N3. This was extremly successful! I put in Tiger Woods '07... and it was so peaceful! And the birds chirping sounded so real w/o any background noise! And when you hit the ball from the tee... the subs POUNDED on ball contact! It was really a beautiful sound...

... Needless to say it's not the AVIC N3, and its not the XBOX360. The only thing that is left in my eyes, would be how the inverter provides the power for the XBOX360... and that current travelling through the sound. Now, another thing I should mention... I had another inverter, by another company I bought to TRY to use my XBOX (regular) to see how it would work, and that was staticy as well...

There has to be something to drown out the noise the inverter is making.

Ideas VERY welcome.

Well, its a possibility I will want to do this anyway...> However, not sure exactly how to go about doing that. Dont they sell harnesses to add onto the batter to wire additional components? Ideas on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Another idea, they have some isolators to ground out inverters I hear. Have no idea where to find them, or if they really work... anybody heard of these?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been given a few ideas to fix this issue. Some say placing the inverter so close down the line to the alternator and engine may cause this to occur. And they advised getting 4 gauge cable... running it from POSITIVE post to rear of vehicle. Then connecting it to the positive terminal of a Kinetik battery (100 farad battery). Then running the inverter off of this battery. The in-line connection will allow the Kinetik battery to recharge, while also powering the XBOX 360 through the inverter BEHIND an additional battery. This hopefully will detour the noise coming from the alternator.

I needed to do this anyway for future AMP and powering video equipment in the back... so it was worth a try... I'll let you know how it pans out.

you dont 'need' a cap. I have never seen it applied and used as promised. Though they function in reality and theoretically I have not seen them out perform a system without a 'cap'. 4 awg is a bit much for a single inverter for a xbox360, not to mention the design is geared for rapid discharge and rapid refill if you will. Definitely not something necessary for a simple ac to dc inverter.

This 4 gauge wire, will also bring current from current battery to rear battery. This will power my system (when upgraded) and act as a capacitor for my system as well as power the inverter (powering XBOX360, and External HD), and then split off onto all the video panels, and neons that will be in the back. I doubt i should go any less than 4 gauge on going from one battery to another... A. more can never hurt when it comes to wiring... less, can! B. The standard on battery posts look like a tad bit smaller than 4 gauge... so i would rather go to 4 gauge to be safe. The battery states its used for rapid charge, and power dispursement which I would need to buy a capacitor anyway for the subs... so why not hit two birds with one stone? Also, with this set up... my primary battery can go dead, and i'll still have the other battery to jump off of... And, I can have TWICE the ammount of life w/o the car running....

Good outweighed the bad... Now if I dont get static on the XBOX 360 being set up this way... i'm gonna be on cloud 9!