AVIC411.com

Power for reverse camera from Canbus?

I have searched this forum but i haven't found what i'm looking for.....

Currently, I am powering my BackUp camera from an Acc powered wire so that it is only on while the vehicle is running. I have read on other threads about powering the camera from a backup light so that it will only be on when in reverse to extend camera life.

I have installed a canbus adapter in my 2000 ML55 to get my VSS and Reverse Signal and everything works fine. I know that when in reverse, the canbus adapter Reverse Signal wire sends +12V to the Z1.

2 questions

1) Is it really a big deal to only have the camera come on when in reverse? - i.e. In reality, how will affect the life of the camera? How long does the camera last if it is just left on while driving?

2) Is it safe to power my camera from the Canbus Reverse Signal wire? I don't wan't to cause any problems with my Canbus/vehicle wiring, but it would save having to run more wires.

1) Is it really a big deal to only have the camera come on when in reverse? - i.e. In reality, how will affect the life of the camera? How long does the camera last if it is just left on while driving?

If you set the camera to only come on when you are in reverse, you will not be able to use the rear monitor (camera and map) mode. How long the camera will last will be dependant, I imagine, on the camera.

If you set the camera to only come on when you are in reverse, you will not be able to use the rear monitor (camera and map) mode. How long the camera will last will be dependant, I imagine, on the camera.

That's true unless i install a switch to power the camera as needed.

I was hoping some folks who have with experience with BU cams would share their personal experience. i.e. is it really worth it to worry about the cam being on. If the camera life isn't severly compromised by leaving it on while driving it would be much simpler to do so.

BTW I have the Pioneer ND-BC1 anyone with any ideas as to how it will do if left on while driving? I would assume it would do ok since the installation instructions state to hook to a power source that is controled by the ignition.

Thanks

I cannot see how power to the camera when the head unit is on will shorten it’s lifespan. I have had my security cameras at my shop on 24/7 for about 8 years now. We are not talking about very much power to begin with. Wiring them to the accessory wire from the avic is how they were designed.

I cannot see how power to the camera when the head unit is on will shorten it’s lifespan. I have had my security cameras at my shop on 24/7 for about 8 years now. We are not talking about very much power to begin with. Wiring them to the accessory wire from the avic is how they were designed.

Agreed, I hadn't given it much thought until I read several posts suggesting that they be powered by the BU lights.

I think i'm just going to leave mine hooked up to Acc. and if it blows, worry about it then...

You can install a switch to feed +12V to the reverse input of your AVIC, triggering a full-screen rear shot, and still hook it up to your reverse +12V output of your CAN-BUS adapter by using diodes to isolate the two triggers from one another. Otherwise, if you hook up the power lead for the camera to an accessory lead to use the split-screen while in nav display mode,(while hooking up the AVIC's reverse input normally) the camera should not have any problem with that. Unless you have a real crap camera, of course. (E-bay - $20, etc.)