AVIC411.com

AVIC Z2 TV TUNER

the reason as to why pioneer no longer makes this is because the FCC is changing all tv to digital, no longer analog. so from what is said, they will no longer be compatible

this is ballpark of 2009 so whtcrxghst is pretty accurate

Ya, but is Pioneer really going to go ~2 years with out having a tuner. Why not a digital/analog one. Or should I ask, does anyone know if one is in the works?

Is the format/signal for digital pined down? But then again they could also make it upgradeable.

thats pretty much accurate. they didnt wanna overproduce them and have customers feel they wasted money on something that would be of no use in the near future. u can easily get a diff brand and put it in aux. highly unlikely that u will find a pioneer tuner ANYWHERE

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone! Very new here but have been checking and using the information here for a couple of years. This forum is fantastic! Thanks for the info!! I just bought a 6400 pioneer tuner and was under the impression it could be used normally with a digital converter as I researched this some time ago and don't remember where I read it. Can anyone help?

• 4 weeks later...

The Pioneer tuners are 100% paperweights. All is not lost though. Digital tuners can be bought. I've installed numerous in my customers vehicles. With one caveat, you will not receive a signal while you are in motion. Like here in Houston, we are so vast, if you live on the outskirts of town, your signal will be pixelated.

• 2 weeks later...
I am 90% sure that you wasted your money

100% sure. You don't need any of the add-on IP-BUS tuners to use a digital converter. Every digital converter I've come across has composite video out and RCA audio which will plug right into a Z1/2/3.

It would have been best to purchase a digital converter when they had the $40 gov't coupon, most were free or close to it. Now you're looking at $25-40 on eBay. Several run on 12V so would be easy to adapt.