AVIC411.com

Z2 in a Mustang 07

I really want an in dash harddrive nav system, and after research I think the Z2 is going to be the one.

I was originally going to get one off of costco.com, and get it installed by a local shop (it included an installcard) but now I can't find it, so I'm not sure where the best place is to pick one of these babies up. I was thinking crutchfield, because I've heard some good stuff about them, but if anyone has a better source I'm open to suggestions! If I'm not getting an installcard I'll just do it myself, I'm no stranger to the world of electronics so a car shouldn't be too wildly different from a PC.

My real question is this;

My car has an aux input in the center console where I plug my mp3 player in via a standard male to male cable. It came like this stock, and it's become absolutely VITAL to me. I can't stand the radio, and I won't go for satellite because I love listening to MY mp3s while I'm driving. Can I get this working without much difficulty? I haven't read anything, so I'm betting it's either part of the standard shaker 500 harness or it's a separate cable that's not too hard to find.

I've been doing most of the research myself, but if anyone can help me with some of the normal foibles in installing in a mustang it would be mucho appreciated.

EDIT:

Also, because I'm installing it myself anyway, is it that big of a deal to have a bypass? And if it is... would it be worth it downgrading to a Z1? I'm not sure what the differences are.

Is it even possible to find a new z1? (I'm anal about all my parts being new, I hate used and refurb stuff)

And could I still buy the harness and stuff from crutchfield to make my life easy?

I have an 07, and looked at it when I installed mine, but I don't use it.

At the present time, you are going to have to make your own harness. It's pretty simple, it's just Left-/+ and Right-/+ you can splice them to the Z2 input or a PBUS Input.

Well I would use the iPod adapter if I were actually to ever get an iPod. It's a personal thing, I can't stand apple. (I have a sandisk sansa 8gb)

What kind of hardware would I require to make my own harness? I'm not too familiar with car audio systems (yet) so I'm not sure what I'm working with back there.

I have a Z1 in my stang...couple things to worry about...the dimming wire, DSS (Speed sensor), and the stepdown voltage for the amp...as far as mp3 player, the Z1 has a up to 4 aux inputs and also has a module via IP bus that reads mp3 players via usb...I would look at CDRB20 or CD-UB100

What kind of hardware would I require to make my own harness? I'm not too familiar with car audio systems (yet) so I'm not sure what I'm working with back there.

If I was going to do it...I would cut the radio aux plug off, splice the wires into a standard RCA cable and then plug the RCA into the Z2.

Or, you can wait for someone to make a harness.

I have a Z1 in my stang...couple things to worry about...the dimming wire, DSS (Speed sensor), and the stepdown voltage for the amp...as far as mp3 player, the Z1 has a up to 4 aux inputs and also has a module via IP bus that reads mp3 players via usb...I would look at CDRB20 or CD-UB100

i am about to have a z1 installed in my 05 GT, what is the prob with the dimmer and DSS wires? i have the wiring harness adapters from crutchfield.