AVIC411.com

fried my rear camera input...

Hi,

I recently purchased and installed a Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Everything was working fine. One day I was adding a piece of equipment, and without thinking I was connecting live power on and off to my rear view camera (I forgot to disconnect the battery, etc. -- stupid, I know!!)

The next time I turned the AVIC-Z1 back on, I found that the rear camera input produced rolling images, poor quality and colours. I have confirmed that my camera is working perfectly (tested it with a different monitor). I double checked that all video connections are intact (tried using different cables). I have narrowed it down to a rear camera video input problem, since even with other video sources, I get the same behaviour.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed?

Does anyone know if the Aux. Video input can be used as a rear camera input (i.e. make the AVIC display the aux.video when you put the car in reverse instead of the rear video input?).

Any tips would be appreciated!

thanks

Wes
As far as I know the aux can't take the place of the rear cam. Have you tried feeding another source into the Z1's cam input like a dvd player? Make sure it's not just a simple incompatibility between your z1 and the camera. Also if you know anyone else with a z1 try swapping the harness that the rear cam attaches to, could be a loose cable in a bad harness.
yeah i tried swapping other sources etc to make sure it isn't the camera or the cables... in fact, the camera works fine when running in to the aux input... :( .. so i am still thinking the rear cam input is fried..

my backup plan is to install a driver side visor monitor and route the camera output there...

thanks

wes
  • 7 years later...

Old thread, but this happens alot i noticed with the Z owners.   My input did it on its own after about  one year use of the rear view camera. After a year, it started to produce distorted image and finally went black.   Camera was fine, looks like the input for the reverse camera fries after a certain time.