AVIC411.com

Hello everyone! My name is Andrew and I just bought an AVIC-D3 for my WRX. I should be installing it this weekend and I can't wait to start using it. I bought the XM (non-nav traffic) and iPod adapters. Anyone have any advice on the install other than to bypass the parking brake? Thanks for all the info...

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my AVIC-D3 installed in my Tiburon. Got the ipod adapter and the Bluetooth is on the way. I love it so far! I don't recommend using it for your sole source of mapping on a long trip, but it will get ya out of a pinch no problem. I would recommend it to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried it on local routes where I know the fastest and the shortest routes and it has taken me in all directions other than the fastest or shortest. It will get you there, but it doesn't always know of spots where you can legally cross a 2 lane to get to a road faster. For instance, I was going to a store and it had me going 2 miles down a road to come back another mile just to get to the other side. When all along there was a crossing in the road that I simply make a left at and I was there. As soon as I made that left it recalculated and said " you have reached you destination". No sh*t Sherlock. I read another forum where it took a guy 100 miles out of his way on a 8 hour or so trip.

You know it's kinda funny all these people have problems with their avics not wanting to make left turns. I've owned my d1 for a little over 2 years now and have never had a problem like that........

Oh wait I just realized I live in New Jesery, where making a left turn is illegal...... :lol:

I was always told that sat nav is no substitute for local knowledge.

I don't mind driving a little further to know I will get there.

In the UK turning left is no issue, turning right however, we'll see what it says.

Perhaps the nav set up will be different for countries that drive on the left.

I know that I took my TomTom to florida recently and had a heart attack when it couldn't find the car rental return at miami international, I had 30 mins before check in closed and the low fuel light had been on for the last 30 miles of the I95.

I started to panic, ditched the Tom Tom, followed the road signs and found that I ended up 5 miles from where the Tom Tom thought I should. Aside from that it was faultless!

Oh wait I just realized I live in New Jesery, where making a left turn is illegal...... :lol:

throughout the entire state?? I know for a fact when I am driving down the strip in AC I've made left turns across traffic, and I am sure I have done it in other urban areas like Newark as well.??

ah U turns... here in Florida is the only place I know where people making U turns have the right of way... Unless of course you are making a right on red against someone making the U turn... then you have the right away. Tourism... what a wonderful thing. :D