AVIC411.com

I ordered he disks from the Pioneer web site last night. Requested two day delivery. Under order statue it says "shipping status" awaiting shipment. I don't know if that means they don't have it or they are waiting for the shipping department to ship it. It did say that back orders are rare and that "they try to only list things that they have in stock ready to ship" so I huess we'll see Monday if it ships.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone already has asked if it will work with a N1.

My question will it work with a N1 bypassed and a N3 brain?

I guess that question will be answered when the disc is finally released and we have a few people to test it and see what improvements there actually is.

On the site it still quotes that it will work with a Avic-N1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine shipped today.

Paisan: I see you got charged tax too. Did I miss the changing of the law? I thought if you ordered stuff online or from a catalog the company could only charge taxes if they have a business presence in the same state. OR... maybe Pioneer has a presence in both NY and VA.

Does anyone else feel that 250 bucks is exorbitant for map discs? Basically, if you purchase 4 sets of upgrades, you will have paid for a D3.

I thought they are pretty pricey too. It'd be different if it was good for 3 years, but as fast as they're building in some areas, some major roads won't even be on there now. Let us know how the discs are and if everything in the transaction flows smoothly.

ARGHHHHHHHHHH WTF PIONEER! My discs still never shipped. I called today and she said it was backordered. They did arrive into port on Saturday, but is sitting in a trailer by their warehouse in Cali. As soon as it is unloaded and scanned into inventory it will be shipped to me (today or tomorrow). Thanks for letting me know it was backordered! Took two phone calls to find out LOL

ARGHHHHHHHHHH WTF PIONEER! My discs still never shipped. I called today and she said it was backordered. They did arrive into port on Saturday, but is sitting in a trailer by their warehouse in Cali. As soon as it is unloaded and scanned into inventory it will be shipped to me (today or tomorrow). Thanks for letting me know it was backordered! Took two phone calls to find out LOL

Thanks for being our guinea pig. We're waiting with ya man. Hope it comes in at a timely manner.

According to UPS, mine didn't ship out until the 12th, despite the Pioneer website stating they shipped on the 10th. I ordered a remote for my wife's Z2 and thought it odd that they shipped my products in two different packages. I wonder if my discs were almost declared on backorder as well.

Oh well... according to the UPS website, both packages arrived in MD today and should be in VA tomorrow. Of course, UPS won't deliver until the scheduled date, so I won't get either package until Wednesday.

CORRECTION: Map data is AS OF APRIL 2006

Well... will wonders never cease. I got home last night to discover that UPS delivered my packages a day early. Two boxes, both the same size, and both wrapped w/ the same "REPACK" tape. I'm not sure what happened there. Anyway, one box contained the remote I ordered for my wife for her Z2 (CD-RV1, but that is another thread). The second box contained my update discs.

I haven't seen any posts talking about the upgrade discs or how to perform the upgrade, but then again, I didn't search... anyway... here's my experience:

They came in a cardboard binder, about the size of a hardback book. There were the discs (east and west), 2 sets of instructions (one sheet for the N1, N2, N3, D1 and D2 and then another sheet for the remainder of the models these updates cover), and a registration/warranty card. Upgrading is pretty simple, just put the disc in your units DVD/CD slot, allow it to load, and the unit will recognize a file instructing it to update. The process to update doesn't take long and there is a progress screen. Of course, it is accompanied w/ all the "Do not power down the unit" warnings.

I did a bad thing, though, now that I think about it. I wanted to preserve my boot up screen and also add some custom backgrounds (my previous attempt failed because I didn't use all uppercase letters in the filename AND extensions). So, my first stop was my computer. I didn't need anything special to read the contents of the disc, so I copied the files to my hard drive, inserted my own files in place of BGOPEN2.JPG and in the BG2DIN (you know what I mean) directory, and then just burned a copy of the files to a DVD+R DL disc, named the same as the original. Then I used my copy to perform the upgrade. Good thing it worked. I probably should have upgraded from the original and then inserted my copy just to ensure no mishaps from a corrupted file created during the copy/burn process. But everything seems to be ok.

Here are some things I've noticed:

• road colors have changed from green to blue

More POI (obviously)

New Roads (obviously)

No QWERTY keyboard

I can't comment on the XM icons, I don't have XM (yet)

I was able to upgrade post bypass

This one is just odd: I had a meeting in Richmond yesterday, so my 60 series disc routed me down a couple of local streets to a local county bypass/Parkway and onto I-95. The 70 series disc routes me out of my neighborhood and onto I-66, 495, then onto I-95 to Richmond. And just to see if it was the Fast/Short setting, I recalculated the route using "Short." The Short route took me to VA-17 to I-95 to Richmond.

The map data is "AS OF APRIL 2005" meaning that it is 2 years old, despite being the 2007 database... I can understand having to set a cutoff date for publishing updates, but it seems to me it could have been a little closer to release date. I don't know the process, so I could be wrong.

All in all, I'm pleased. Some updates to the map data I expected are not there. Example: there is a new section of road next to my office building that I expected to be on the map. It isn't. The road was changed from a 2 lane to 4 lane (physically and on the map) but the new section which connects 2 avenues isn't on the map. But I can live with things like that. I would have loved to have a qwerty keyboard layout. Anyone know how to hack the keymap??

~Nyte

edited 7/20/2007 to add correction notice at top of post