AVIC411.com

Z1, Z2, and Z3 HDD FAQ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="gmschiller"]Crap, crap, crap. I know better! Anyway, I got impatient and got sick of waiting until I could go buy a new drive. I decided to take the plung and unlock the stock drive. I didn't need the data, so I went ahead and used the wizard.

The unlock wizard seemed to work flawlessly. Everything was fine and it said it was successful after it was done. I downloaded the magicboot v.2 and tried to disable the security. I can't get it to "see" the drive! So, I boot all the way back up... still can't see the drive! So, I pop it in my USB adapter (Sh!ts and giggles) still no partitions, but I can see it in the device manager. :evil:

What gives? Anyone else run into this. I have tried it on 3 diferent computers varying in age and motherboard chip sets. I'm in the sa diego area close to Miramar. Anyone close enough and want to take a look? Just wondering. I think I might try usiung the CD rom Magic boot this evening. Maybe the USB floppy drive I have doesn't work with this procedure. :?:[/quote]

Hey, I live in Carlsbad, fairly/somewhat close to you.

Anyways, your problem COULD be that your drive doesn't have a drive letter. Try right clicking My Computer, and click Manage. Then go to the Disk Management snap-in, and find your drive in there (if it shows up in Device Manager, it'll show up here). Assign a drive letter to the drive. You should be able to see/access the drive in My Computer now.

If you need more help, PM me.
MSV PARTITION

Bill Gates has introduced what is now Microsoft Server Virtualization (MSV).
MSV allows multiple virtualized server operating systems to run concurrently on single-server hardware. The interesting part is that MSV also supports non-Microsoft operating systems, such as Linux (AIX is IBM’s flavor of UNIX, more on this in a minute).
This has the ability to add peripheral devices and to allocate system memory to the virtual operating systems in real time. This is for the input devices added USB, IP Bus system etc…, for Pioneer.
Translation into layman’s terms:
Microsoft Server Virtualization is what is running the partition of MSV working with the LDATA Partition via AIX. This is the basic operating system to run the services necessary in the head unit. Since the MSV is the OS, it utilizes this partition for storage of files such as MP3 files, etc…and files them accordingly like a computer with Windows would do .

LDATA PARTITION
Kernel Services for UNIX
ldata stands for "local data". The ldata facility supports data localization by allowing kernel subsystems and extensions to create and use ldata pools. The element size plus the initial and maximum number of elements to be contained in the pool is specified while creating the pool. The number of elements in the pool can be dynamically increased up to the maximum. Within the sub-pool the elements are contained such that they are cache-aligned and multiples of cache-line size to promote cache friendliness. Also, the elements in each sub-pool are backed by physical memory local to its corresponding SRAD. Allocation of a storage element is satisfied from the per-SRAD sub-pool on which the caller is located and where the storage element is to be predominately accessed. Deallocation of a storage element returns the element to its associated per-SRAD sub-pool.
Services are provided to allow kernel subsystems and extensions to create, destroy, grow the ldata pools. There are a couple of advantages of using ldata kernel services over raw xmallocs:
Since the memory allocated by ldata kernel services are backed by local node memory, it is faster to read and write the ldata region on that node.
ldata elements can be allocated from the interrupt environment. xmalloc kernel service cannot be called from the interrupt environment. Of course, there is an upper limit on a given ldata pool -- the maximum number of elements asked at ldata creation time.

This partition is written UNIX, as is the SDATA Partition. IBM has written the code in their UNIX called AIX. This code is becoming archaic and not too many people are trained to use it.
This partition is to add and delete files (storage)and has a maximum size already specified in the code. The reason for this is the need for fast read and write speeds
In this code there is a maximum size the partition can be and can not be changed via any partition program. You can change the partition to any size you want but when it is larger than what is written in the AIX code it will fail to read or write and crashes the drive.
The new size would have to be rewritten into the AIX code as this is where to set any new parameters on the partition size.

SDATA PARTITION and USER PARTITION
Note that SDATA is not a character referencing format: it is a form of allowing the system to insert *any* data when and where the SDATA entity is referenced. Notably, this could be a complete character sequence, or even different data for each reference to the same SDATA entity.

IMO this is probably the structure of the system where the instructions or code are stored for the other partitions. Not quite sure on what this partition is for but since this and the USER PARTITION are of the same size this would be my guess.

2 MB UNPARTITIONED (not partitioned)
This is just space that maybe used for the MBR or any other file for the HDD itself. Just like if you installed Win XP there is usually and 8 MB of Unpartitioned space on an install to any HDD.

So from what I have researched about these partitions, unless you or someone you know who understands AIX can get into the code to rewrite it, these partition may be stuck at this size. I believe the reason the storage partition is only 10 Gig would be for read / write / access speed. Could be wrong but TMO.

IMO the reason Toshiba HDD were selected is because they are durable and can handle a lot of abuse. We use Panasonic Toughbook Laptops strictly with these drives in all of our vehicles and the fail rate is very low. Makes my job much easier when there is little down time and low maintenance.

Hope this helps somewhat.
PPDdawgg-

Great information. I can vouch for the drive crashing if you try to increase the size of the music partition. I bought a 60GB Toshiba drive, and tried to increase the music partition. The unit functioned okay, until I started to add CDs to the music library. After I added two CDs worth of music, the system went into a rebooting loop.

I pulled the drive, and re-imaged it, this time, leaving the partition sizes alone. I have been able to add six CDs worth of music with no performance issues.
[quote name="CaptainInsaneO"]

Hey, I live in Carlsbad, fairly/somewhat close to you.

Anyways, your problem COULD be that your drive doesn't have a drive letter. Try right clicking My Computer, and click Manage. Then go to the Disk Management snap-in, and find your drive in there (if it shows up in Device Manager, it'll show up here). Assign a drive letter to the drive. You should be able to see/access the drive in My Computer now.

If you need more help, PM me.[/quote]

Thank you for the response. I was able to figure it out with a tip from Big-Focker. What I did was loaded acronis and searched for new drives. although it did not show in "my computer" it was present in acronis as a valid drive. I simply chose to add the drive to the computer and from that point on it was a cake walk. The only drawback I had was the missing step tin the security disable procedure where I had to type mhhd or something like that to bring up the menus for the later steps. once I figured that out I was good to go. Installed the Image and Sheila was alive again. I'm still going to upgrade the drive to make it a little faster, but that can wait a bit. I'd sure love to crack this music conversion issue, but I'm not smart enough for that one.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="propman07"]PPDdawgg-

Great information. I can vouch for the drive crashing if you try to increase the size of the music partition. I bought a 60GB Toshiba drive, and tried to increase the music partition. The unit functioned okay, until I started to add CDs to the music library. After I added two CDs worth of music, the system went into a rebooting loop.

I pulled the drive, and re-imaged it, this time, leaving the partition sizes alone. I have been able to add six CDs worth of music with no performance issues.[/quote]

I have increased the size of the music partion using Acronis during the restore image process to 37gb (all reamaing space on a 60gb dfive). I have had over 300 CD's on it for well over a year and have NEVER had a reboot problem...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

Trying to turn off security on my Toshiba drive to put the z3 OS on. I have all other drives unplugged from my tower. Using the IDE adapater, the Toshiba drive is plugged into the Master ATA plug.

I also have the boot disk in the CD drive. It goes through it's boot process, says no hard drive found quickly and some other text flys by. Then it goes to the MHDD prompt. So I type "EID", and it says "bad command or file name".

Above that on the screen it says:

"Disk Contains:

list of things.......

Your CD/DVD-ROM (if any) is mapped to Z:
MHDD is located here: C:\MHDD
C:\MHDD>EID
Bad Command or File name"

What is going wrong here?

Thanks Duke
[quote name="garrettoomey"]type "mhdd" then click 'enter' to start the program, then continue with the instructions...[/quote]

So you're saying at the "C:\MHDD>" prompt, I should type "MHDD" and hit enter to start the program? At which point I will be entering in "EID" etc in the list of instructions on page 1 of this thread?

I was starting to think it was because I needed a bios update from Abit for my Abit I35 pro mobo.
[quote name="F150 Duke"] [quote name="garrettoomey"]type "mhdd" then click 'enter' to start the program, then continue with the instructions...[/quote]

So you're saying at the "C:\MHDD>" prompt, I should type "MHDD" and hit enter to start the program? At which point I will be entering in "EID" etc in the list of instructions on page 1 of this thread?

I was starting to think it was because I needed a bios update from Abit for my Abit I35 pro mobo.[/quote]

You are correct. type "mhdd" at the prompt.
[quote name="garrettoomey"] [quote name="F150 Duke"] [quote name="garrettoomey"]type "mhdd" then click 'enter' to start the program, then continue with the instructions...[/quote]

I was starting to think it was because I needed a bios update from Abit for my Abit I35 pro mobo.[/quote]

You are correct. type "mhdd" at the prompt.[/quote]

Sounds good, I'll give it a try after work. Thanks for the advice! The only final hicup I see for me will be trying to use one of those free downloads to expand the music partition.

I wish I had seen your ad a couple months back when I bought this drive (originally to upgrade in January to the z2 but put it off). I'd jump all over that offer as a convenience to save time, but alas I wouldn't have anything to do with the $70 drive that is sitting on my desk.
Well I type MHDD and it pulls up the numbers 1 thru etc. With nothing listed. I press shift plus F3 and still nothing pulls up.

The Toshiba drive is plugged into the adapter and then into the master cord with the adapter power plugged in.

At the MHDD, I still hit #3 even though it was blank and it took me to the MHDD prompt in blue. I typed "EID" and it said "Drive not ready in red".

I feel like it cannot see the drive. I am wondering if I'm having a similar problem as another guy previously who needed to update his bios.

I have an Abit I35 pro mobo.

Version 16 was released on 3/18/2008 which is after I purchased the mobo but not long enough for me to think they updated it. It has the following updates.

Update AHCI ROM version.
Update CPU Micro code.
Enhanced 45nm CPU compatibility.
Fixed C1E function abnormality.
Fixed Quick Power On Self Test function abnormality.
BIOS compiled date: 03/18/2008.

1. I formatted a CD, burned the 5 files to the CD.
2. Tried to boot from CD but that didn't work.
3. Using my Windows Vista 64 bit OS, I went to Run->cmd
4. then switched over to the cd drive and typed "runme" per the instructions from abit. I came up with an error that this was made for a 16 bit os and that I should contact the manuf as it was not compatible with my 64 bit os.

I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help?
  • 3 weeks later...
Not sure why, but the link for the hard drive unlocker on this thread does not include the AVIC411 discount. Found this on the Z1/Z2 to Z3 thread, hope it saves someone a few bucks:

[url=http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/licenses/rs-avic411.html]http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/l ... ic411.html[/url]
[quote name="Mossman"]Okay, finally got my Z1 stock HD to unlock. I had to use my work's Dell machine running Win2K to do it. It's not that easy, either. For some reason, the system will not boot when the drive is installed. I had to boot the machine and install the drive after it is on. Basically, hot swap it. I thought I was going to fry the drive but it's all good. Just thought I would give my 2 cents to someone who might be having the same problem. Thanks.[/quote]

THANK YOU. My bios would see the secondary IDE master drive as the Z1 drive, but windows wouldn't. I started it up with the CD attached, then hotswapped the cable over to the Z1 drive. At first it didn't work, but then I scanned for changes in device manager. Drive showed up! Not sure why secondary IDE master wasn't coming up before...
Is there any other program that can disable security on the drive?
MHDD won't turn off security on my original, unlocked Toshiba drive. I get "Device Error". I tried on two machines so far. Perhaps the problem is I have the drive connected to Primary Master, but none of my computers have a Secondary Master because they all only have one IDE port. I've been searching Google for an alternative program and come up with nothing.