AVIC411.com

Nissan Pathfinder D3 install

Has anyone installed a D3 in an 05 (or similar) Nissan Pathfinder/Armada? I want to know if I should try this install myself or take it somewhere. Hell, if anyone lives near ATL and wants to make a few bucks I'd do that too. Thanks for the help guys.

Metra Kit 99-7581 is what you need for the install. Simply mount the unit into the side brackets, slide the double din mount piece over the front and place back into the dash. Connect all the wires and you are good to go. Get a smart harness for a quick connection into the factory harness. You NEVER want to cut factory wire. I'm not sure where the VSS is on the Pathfinder but I have a feeling that you can get to it from right above the gauge cluster.

I had a 2007 pathfinder I think that wanted a d3 installed and I believe the vss could not be found. Audiovox says "THE VEHICLE SPEED SIGNAL IS SENT THROUGH A DATABUS LINE - YOU MUST USE A WHEEL SPEED SENSOR WIRE." Meaning a speed pulse generator is needed. Never put one of those generators. Anyone know what is the best way to get a VSS out of these vehicles?

I just hooked up the vss wire in my 07 pathfinder. I used pin 6 on instrument cluster harness. If you look hard you can seen numbers at each corner of harness telling which way to count. You can get to the harness by pulling the dash away from around the cluster. The harness plugs into the top of the cluster. I was not able to unplug the harness that way (big hands). You might have better luck. I ended up having to take off most of the dash on the drivers side to get to the cluster housing. You have to start by taking the panel off under the steering wheel and working your way up. I am getting a good speed pulse (about 1/2 the speed I am going on the odometer). That seems to be what most people are getting. I did not have any proper tools to plug the wire into the harness correctly, so I just stripped about an inch of the vss wire and folded it in half then plugged it into the pin as far as it would go (not the best way, but not problems so far).

If you are going to hook up the reverse, the easiest place to find the wire is underneath the plastic panel to the left of the drivers seat that holds the carpet down. Underneath the plastic panel is a big white box that a bundle of wires runs through. Just open the box and find the light blue wire.

I would disconnect the batteries negative cable or you might trip the airbag light. If the airbag light starts to blink, it can be fixed without taking it to the dealership (do a search on airbag and you can find the post on how to fix it). The demo screen may come up the first few times the unit is started, but should eventually go away.

• 1 month later...

i have a avic d2 in my 2007 frontier which is almost the exact same thing.... i have the rockford fosgate package and the wheel controls and sirius all installed with out any problems... im sure the d3 would go in no problem and i didnt have to do anything with the dash... i used the original black border piece that came with the unit and it filled in the gaps perfectly all around