AVIC411.com

I think I got screwed on my install....

I had a place here in Steubenville, OH do the install of my D3 in my 1991 Volvo 940SE, Sirius and iPod connector. I did this because I felt that the job was a little too intense and that there would need to be some fabrication done also.

I brought it to the shop and the shop owner ended up working for my dad years ago and was pretty friendly. He said he would need to order a part to bypass the Volvo factory amps, which seemed ok with me. He charged me $240 for the install and the part. I didn't think that seemed totally outrageous considering I didn't buy any of the hardware from him.

So I drop it off Wednesday morning and he calls me mid-afternoon saying that there are a few issues, one being that the piece he ordered only bypasses the dash speakers, I wasn't quite sure at the time, but I didn't believe the dash speakers in Volvos were connected to an amp, only the 4 door speakers. He then proceeds to tell me that to get the door speakers working he needs to rewire all the doors and that it's going to cost me another $240, which included a missing cable that supposedly didn't come with my SIR-PNR2, I also felt that this wasn't true. I guess I should have put up a red flag when he said this, but I paid it, hoping that my car was going to look and sound great.

I pick it up yesterday and much to my dismay the car is a wreck! My glove box was broken, he installed a toggle switch for the parking brake, which I also believed wasn't necessary (I gave him the bypass procedure from this site) and while I'm driving video does not play unless I'm going about 10mph. I don't know if he connected the VSS wire either, in 3D calibration, it gives me a MPH reading that is within 2-3MPH of the speedometer. Worst of all, he didn't fabricate a bezel, instead he glued the bezel that came with the unit onto my dash!

I was shocked because this guy has a nice shop and I have seen some of his other work and it was good. Here are some pics:

nav1.jpg

nav2.jpg

nav3.jpg

nav4.jpg

nav5.jpg

nav6.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear god. Thats the worst install I have ever seen...

You need to demand a full refund for the install and make the guy pay to replace any damaged parts.

Worse case, you can always dispute it with your credit card company.

He super glued the trim piece that comes with it on there.

I just got back from the shop and I felt bad because there were several other people there and he asked what was up and I told him I wasn't happy.

I said you busted my glovebox, and you super glued the trim on it, for $500 I was expecting a lot better, he was like well the trim piece was what it came with, I said I understand but it didn't cover everything and you could see a huge gap, I told him I was expecting a custom faceplate.

I don't know if I should let him fix it or just take it to court.

Ohh, and he keeps telling me there is a gyro built into the D3 that prevents video from driving and I told him, no, if he grounds the mute wire and the parking wire it will allow, now I have some stupid toggle switch in my car. I was like I wrote out the steps for you on what to do.

Sorry to hear about all this..He didn't really need to order any bypass parts, the dash speakers are found behind the radio, and the others are found in the factory amp by the steering wheel as follows

red/green = constant

black = ground

orange = acc

+/-

green/ green brown : RR

grey white/ grey : RF

yellow grey/ yellow brown : LR

blue yellow/ white : LF

Yea I would take back the car back and tell him to redo it! Or get all your money back and take it somewhere else! Good luck!

You definately got screwed. How does a person even accept money for work like that? This is one of the reasons why I love sites like these. It makes it possible for a person to do there own install and have it look how you want it to look.

Yeah I was hoping to do that but Volvos are so goofy with their wiring and I knew I was going to need a custom bezel that I decided to go to a shop.