AVIC411.com

I think i just screwed up my Z1

Everything was working fine until i tried to hook up a switch so that I could easily check behind my travel trailer while driving.

I had checked out several forums on this site and i thought i was hooking it up corectly.

Here's what i did.

I hooked a double pole switch onto my reverse input so that it either received the normal reverse signal from my canbus or a constant 12V so that the unit would think the vehicle is in reverse. BUT when i hooked it all up, the unit competely died!. It wont come on any more at all! I unhooked my switch and put things back as before, but it is still totally dead! I checked all the fuses but none are blown.

PLEASE Help!

Hey Man, Thanks for your quick reply - yep it was a fuse ( my Ml has 2 radion fuses) BUT when i put it in reverse i get no rear cam display :cry:

I checked "Hardware" in the settings menue and I DO get a signal when in reverse. BUT no cam. also i am unable to select the Rear view option from my nav. The fuse to my camera is not blown and it is getting 12V.

does it sound like i blew out my rear cam circuit?

:lol: I'm such an idiot! As a result of losing power, i needed to turn on the camera input again in settings all is well again with my Z1.

Wo! That was too close for comfort! In the future, if i feel that i must be able to view the image from the rear cam with the flip of a switch, I'll just rig up a switch to reverse the polarity of the cam... A Whole lot SAFER for my Z1

Thanks Again for your help - THIS FORUM ROCKS!

Kinda figured that would have been the problem. Now if you want to wire a switch to do what you want "Properly", then you'll need a spdt toggle switch. The terminals of that switch should be marked something to the effect of On, common, On. Well they are if you get it from the ratshack. What you want to do is this

On#1 - to red wire of avic.

common - to reverse input wire of avic.

on#2 - to reverse wire of vehicle.

Now when you switch the switch one way the backup camera will come on only in reverse, the other way and the backup camera will come up regardless of whether the vehicle is reverse or not.

Yes there is a simpler way to do this with a spst toggle switch and a diode. But that's another post.

Kinda figured that would have been the problem. Now if you want to wire a switch to do what you want "Properly", then you'll need a spdt toggle switch. The terminals of that switch should be marked something to the effect of On, common, On. Well they are if you get it from the ratshack. What you want to do is this

On#1 - to red wire of avic.

common - to reverse input wire of avic.

on#2 - to reverse wire of vehicle.

Now when you switch the switch one way the backup camera will come on only in reverse, the other way and the backup camera will come up regardless of whether the vehicle is reverse or not.

Yes there is a simpler way to do this with a spst toggle switch and a diode. But that's another post.

Thanks for the conformation - but that's exactly what i was doing when i blew the fuse. I'm not sure if i accidently grounded the switch when i hooked it up to test it, but that scared the crap out of me enough that i just unhooked the switch put the dash back together.

I've got to regrow some stones before i try anything like that again :wink:

thanks so much for your advice!

I do this all the time when towing. Rather than hooking up a toggle switch, try this:

While in navigation mode, hit the 'map' button on the front display, then select the backup camera viewing mode. You can change back to any map view mode just as quickly.

That's what i'm going to do. Also, while in this mode the Navi still displays turn info etc. when necessary while a route is selected, so it should work almost as well as any other display choice.... I just thought the toggle switch would be more flexable - but it's probably not worth the trouble.

Thanks Guys for your input and help.