AVIC411.com

general amp hookup

I have the Z2 and a JLAudio 500/5 amp in my car.

I broke down and took the amp to an installer to have them tweak the system after I made a royal mess of the gains and filters one day.

So last night I went and disconnected the amp, the power lines, and RCAs to move the amp in the trunk and connect new brackets for the new location.

Before doing so I labelled all the lines so I could put them all back right were they were. So why does the left front speaker work and sub but nothing else?

I checked the speaker wires and the speakers are all working when using a D-size battery to 'pop' the speakers.

Here is what I did and in the order I did it. Maybe someone can point out where I messed up.

1. disconnected the battery

2. disconnected the power cable at the fuse and installed a longer one

3. connected new power cable back onto amp

4. re-routed ground cable and connected it back to amp.

5. re-routed remote line and connected it back to amp.

6. re-routed speaker leads and RCAs and connected them back to amp.

7. connected ground cable back to battery

8. turned on key to check system

9. no sound at all

10. checked RCAs and found nothing loose

11. checked speaker leads and found a few not pushed in all the way and screwed down well.

12. checked all connections and got sound out of left front and sub only.

13. re-booted Z2, no change in set up.

14. disconnected all speaker leads and checked yet again for sound with battery, no loose connections.

So what am I missing or doing out of order?

The main fuse on the power lead is not popped nor is the amp overheating.

It worked one day, I disconnect it and move it a few feet and nothing happens.

The JL amp doesn't have a re-boot button anywhere that I can see either.

Is there some order of connection that is required when connecting an amp?

I bet if I go to the shop again now that I have played with all the settings thinking that I may have bumped them that they will simply connect all this up in 5 minutes and charge me for an hour!!!

Also, make sure the switches for setting the amp's 2/4 channel input are switched all the way to one side. The switches sometimes hang up without making a full connection. Switch them back and forth a couple times. Also, try switching the RCA's around (left for right, front for rear) and see if anything changes. If it does, you may have pulled an RCA a bit too hard, breaking it's connection inside. Replace. If nothing changes, your problem probably lies in Cntry's description, so doublecheck that again.

Well I trimmed all the cables and removed the insulation to put them all in to be sure that they were getting good contact with the amp.

I got the sub working and now both front sets working but no rears still.

The fronts were not working on both left/right because I had the pair connected wrong. I have them bridged and had the wires in the wrong holes.

But the rears still bug me.

Getting closer to the fix. The key is that when you pull stuff apart and you label the wires....take a note of the settings on the amp in the even that you move them by accident!

Try using a test speaker, like a bookshelf speaker from your house, connected to your amp outputs with a known funtioning piece of wire. Work back from there. You can also use an MP3 player with a 1/8" to rca adapter for signal, to rule out a bad amp.

• 4 weeks later...