AVIC411.com

.50 cent Security solution: in a pinch

I'm still working on modifying my old faceplate so that it sits over the AVIC D3 without arousing undue suspicion. In the meantime, I've got a tip that might work "in a pinch" if you find you have to leave your car parked somewhere and don't feel too comfortable about your aftermarket Nav system sitting in plain view. Print out a "google map" or a "yahoo map" or some other internet map route and scotch tape it to your dash covering up your Nav system. The idea here is to cover up your Nav unit while making it look like you simply taped a map to your dash to make it easier to drive and look at the map at the same time, and you never got around to taking it off.

You could keep a map and a roll of tape in your glove compartment at all times, just in case.

Might work in a pinch. At any rate, it's what I've been doing.

Just cover it with an old shirt. So it doesn't look suspicious, randomly toss a bunch of old clothes on the seats, floor, and dash. Maybe even a few empty soda bottles on the floor and seats. It'll look like you're a sloppy bum living out of your car rather than trying to hide something.

• 2 weeks later...
The whole map thing is good, but at the same time stupid. Think about it, if a thief sees a map on you dash, they are probably going to think that you are a traveler or don't know where your going and bam, there goes your avic.

Thing is: if they buy the map thing, then they won't believe you've got a fancy GPS unit under there. You are right, though, that they may assume you're an out-of towner and less likely to be around to testify in a court of law if they are later caught. So you've got to balance those concerns against each other.

All in all, though, if I had to choose between nothing at all and a map taped to the dash, I'd go with the map (which I've done already on numerous occasions).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i live around san francisco bay area and i am a fan of oakland raiders so what i did is i bought a Oakland raiders beach towel... everytime i park my car in a suspicious area i cover my whole dash with the bath towel for 3 purposes..

1. to hide my avic d3

2. to protect my dash from sunlight...

3. to represent my raider team lol...

• 3 weeks later...

im not sure about the d3, but if its a big problem where you live and have a n3 cant you just slide the unit out of the cage with the pioneer tools and unplug the harness and take unit inside? thats what i do with my deh-p8000r alot of time, i dont wanna loose it since it has the twin towers display with an airplane going right by both towers, its gotta be worth something to some twin tower nut? has anyone heard what those go for mine is mint

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a VW golf gtdi 2 doors with recarro seats, all I have to do is open both front seats as If i was letting back passenger out of the car and was never bothered to put them back, as the seats are bucket seats, they cover most of the dash including my D3 even if you look trough the back window you won't see it as the back window is tinted.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...