AVIC411.com

Drive Image/ISO begging and supplying

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no way do I want to do the wrong thing here. I know where the original image came from and will do the following prior to providing to anyone:

1. Check with the owner to ensure they are ok with me sharing it.

2. Ensure the image is completely stock with no personal data. Once I comfirm the image works, I will do a level 4 reset, copy the image back to my PC, and provide that image and that image only so no personal info is included.

Again, this all depends on the original owner and whether they are ok with me providing this image to others.

I would like to say a few words here on this subject of getting a copy of an image to update Z1 to Z2. I think many people think we should give Pioneer what they are due BUT I disagree with that. If one pays for an update for the Z2 then you are also saying to Pioneer that it is ok:

1. It is ok to sale a product that has maps that are out of date

2. It is ok not to update your maps in timely fashion like other vendors (like Garmin which provides an update every 6 months and at most a year)

3. It is ok to over charge for these map update (Most vendors charge under $100)

4. It is ok not to provide an easy way to purchase and download these maps (With Garmin you pay online and download the updated maps)

5. It is ok not to provide FREE incremental updates to the software that should fix many issues and make them easy to download online

6. It is ok to provide poor support and unknowledgeable people even when you are trying to buy their products and updates

7. It is ok to put locks on the software so that it requires a bypass just to use their product in the way it was intended (even if that is only with voice – hands free – still requires a bypass) Garmin simply puts up a warning screen that you acknowledge once and only once. Does Garmin legal know something that Pioneer legal doesn’t?

I’m not trying to justify copying software but I’m saying there is another side to this issue. Personally I’m sick of large companies not listing to their customers and putting them through so many hoops just to use their product the way it was intended. When Pioneer actually does something that is worth paying for then I will pay them what they are due. Currently I just want what I originally thought I was paying for and that was up to date maps. Not two year old maps.

It seems to me the ones that spent all the time on the bypass would be the most upset about Pioneer charging so much for this update that required such a bypass to begin with (when it should have been a simple warning screen to acknowledge once).

Andrew

Yes that is a very good idea. Also if this image is not YOURS, I highly recommend not giving it away. Sometimes people make an image file with personal info on there that SHOULD NOT be shared without their consent. If you didn't make the image DO NOT SHARE IT.

At the very least, take your drive out, back it up to your hard drive.

Stick it back into the Z1/2, do a level 4 reset to factory defaults.

Remove it and put it into your PC, make the image, share that one.

Restore your image back to your drive and re-insert it back into your Z1/2.

If someone else was kind enough to make an image of their drive and share it with you, and it has any personal info from the originator DO NOT SHARE IT. It will make the originator mad and me as well. You do not want to screw someone who was nice enough to take the time to make you an image, just cause you are too lazy to wipe it before sharing.

Actually, the image came from ANOTHER FORUM MEMBER and all he did was start his Z2 to unlock the drive and distribute some copies to try the new "rumored" bypass. He was waiting for a dash trim kit before he installed his Z2. He was the first one here (to my knowledge) with a June 07 model. I can confirm that there is no personal information on it. The image was completely stock or "virgin" as was stated earlier.

Good to know there is no personal info on the image, and I've sent a PM to the owner to discuss this with him. Also, I'm still going to make the image bypassable, confirm it works, do a level 4 reset, copy the image back to my PC and go from there.

This way we aren't sharing the original owner's image and the blame goes on me if there are any legal issues. Regardless, if he doesn't want his image shared, I will respect that and not share anything since this started with his image.

Actually, the image came from xxxxx and all he did was start his Z2 to unlock the drive and distribute some copies to try the new "rumored" bypass. He was waiting for a dash trim kit before he installed his Z2. He was the first one here (to my knowledge) with a June 07 model. I can confirm that there is no personal information on it. The image was completely stock or "virgin" as was stated earlier.

Yes, I'm aware whose it is, I have a copy of it too....I refrained from posting his username so he could avoid a dozen messages begging for the image. Again, I'm pretty sure he was sending out the image for bypass development purposes only, but I don't want to speak for him, just want to make sure due diligence is taken by getting his permission to further violate copyright laws :roll::lol:

From the guy who shared the original image......

I shared the image with a few members PURELY for bypass research. I'm a software guy, and piracy pissed me off. Please do NOT distrubute the image. I paid out of my own pocket to unlock the drive and get the image purely for R&D purposes, not so everyone can freeload off it. If you have a Z1 and want a Z2, pay Pioneer the $250 to do it. The $250 goes towards the engineers and programmers to make the Z2 possible, as well as the Navtech guys that create maps for us to use.

ducati, if you see anyone distributing it, please have it removed. Thanks.

PS I'm ignoring all PM requests. They've already started :(.

Hopefully this will stop any further PMs.....

If someone has a Z2 they want to unlock and make their own image and post it where ever they want, that's fine. I would recommend that any image have no personal info on it.

So, after reading other posts of those trying to buy the upgrade disc from Pioneer it seems they are either a) no longer available, B) available but must be ordered through your local dealer and c) not available through the local dealers because Pioneer has asked them not to order discs for customers. So this forum is now divided into the "haves" and "have nots". Surely there is some fine, upstanding individual that will answer the plight of the "have nots".

So, after reading other posts of those trying to buy the upgrade disc from Pioneer it seems they are either a) no longer available, B) available but must be ordered through your local dealer and c) not available through the local dealers because Pioneer has asked them not to order discs for customers. So this forum is now divided into the "haves" and "have nots". Surely there is some fine, upstanding individual that will answer the plight of the "have nots".

Doesn't seem like you're trying to order it :wink: I called pioneer yesterday, they said there would be no problem getting the disc, but that the password generation website might be unavailable for a few days over the next few weeks. Any AUTHORIZED dealer should be able to order it as well, but it doesn't sound like any are stocking it.