AVIC411.com

Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and very glad that I found it. I just purchased a Avic D2. I know it' s older but I don't need anything really fancy for my 2000 Ford Expedition. Anyway I have been told that you need sometype of module if you have a cd changer and want it to work with your Avic system? Any info would be apperciated. If I should know anything else before installing please feel free to speak. I already have a DVD player in the back of my truck. I plan to run the RCA cable to the DVD player so I can watch movies up front on this system.

Chase

Just a note, if you have rear monitors that you want to be able to let others watch movies and you listen to music at the same time, DO NOT use the input/output method for the video, get a RCA "Y" splitter, and just split the signal before it goes into the D2 other wise you will HAVE to have it on AV for the others to watch the movies.

Also, when you install this, the easiest that I found to mounting it, is get some plumbers tape, and attach it to the sides of the D2, going towards the firewall, the wrap it back around the sides | | then screw it to where the normal mounting screws attach, this way it pulls the unit into the dash, nice and snug.

I ended up, not even using a mounting kit for mine, I bought one for a newer model Expy, but ended up not using it after all. Mine is an 01 Expy

100_4577.jpg

100_4578.jpg

100_4579.jpg

100_4580.jpg

Thank you for your post! it really helped me. Do you have any idea on how to get my cd changer to hook up to this unit?

That, I don't know, hopefully someone else can chime in here on that one, you MAY want to post this question over under the general, and not the troubleshooting section, and see what they say.

Also, if you need ANY help getting this thing to fit in there, or any questions, let me know, I just installed this about 2 weeks ago, so it is still fresh in my mind. feel free to either email me, or PM me. Are you planning on doing the mod to it?

Thank you for your post! it really helped me. Do you have any idea on how to get my cd changer to hook up to this unit?

That, I don't know, hopefully someone else can chime in here on that one, you MAY want to post this question over under the general, and not the troubleshooting section, and see what they say.

Also, if you need ANY help getting this thing to fit in there, or any questions, let me know, I just installed this about 2 weeks ago, so it is still fresh in my mind. feel free to either email me, or PM me. Are you planning on doing the mod to it?

Thank You for your help.

I have a factory cd changer in my vehicle. I have been told that you need to buy a module to make the changer work with the D-2. I'm not sure? I have not yet had a chance to take out my factory system to see if the all the wiring will hook right into the D-2.

Chase

you will need to get a wiring harness for your expy, wire it into the D2, and then it plugs right into the Expy, if you want to do the bypass mod on it, you will need to take the mute wire (if you are not using it) move it to the only blank location on the plug, ground it, then ground the wire that should go to the brake.

avic-d2_harness_bypass.jpg

you will need to get a wiring harness for your expy, wire it into the D2, and then it plugs right into the Expy, if you want to do the bypass mod on it, you will need to take the mute wire (if you are not using it) move it to the only blank location on the plug, ground it, then ground the wire that should go to the brake.

avic-d2_harness_bypass.jpg

Goodmorning idbl_fanatic,

I cannot even begin to tell you the trouble I hasd installing my unit in my Expedition. Anyway IO would like to ask you a few questions if I may? Where did you ground the speed sensor wire to? And the parking brake, you say to ground it. Are you grounding the wire just to the body of the car or are you grounding it to the actual p-brake? I look over two hours by the p-brake and could not find a postive connection wire anywhere? And about the reverse wire? Did you connect it? I really need some help because my unit won't let me even put in a desintation or address and I believe this is due to not having the parking brake wire attached?

you dont ground the speed sense wire, you ground the p brake wire, I just bundled the p brake, ground, and the blank hole together and grounded them all. the speed sense other wise known as the VSS eeds to connect to

| SPEED SENSE|gray/black | |cruise control module *4 |

*4 The cruise control module is on the driver side fender

you dont ground the speed sense wire, you ground the p brake wire, I just bundled the p brake, ground, and the blank hole together and grounded them all. the speed sense other wise known as the VSS eeds to connect to

When you say you put everything in the open hole on the plug did you just put the wiring in there or did you put the wire in there and then put a screw into that wire holding it into that plug? I hope I make sense. I will try to locate that cruise control wire. Just a word of advice to anyone with a factory Ford Expedition cd changer. Your double din is not going to be as wide as if you had a double din with a cd built in your unit. Be prepared to modify your double bracing in your dash. I had to take my rotator tool and cut into the double din holder to make my dobule din fit into the slot. Also you must purchase a Pioneer cd changer to allow for your unit to work with a cd changer.

idbl_fanatic,

I have google and looked everywhere to find exactly where and what the #4 module look like and I cannot find it. When you say fender. Are you saying that its near the fender in the interior or near the fender inside the engine compartment? I wish I knew more and did not have to ask such stupid questions.

Thanks- Chase

It's not #4, that is just telling you, like a foot note.

it is SPEED SENSE|gray/black | |cruise control module , the The cruise control module is on the driver side fender (Engine compartment)

Can you please explain what you mean about this open end on the Avic plug. When you put a wire into the open hole are you taking a screw and grounding into the plug are just putting the wire into the open end in the plug and leaving it?

What I did was removed the mute wire from the plug, and inserted it into the open hole, then just grounded that wire along with the P brake wire, and ground wire. If you a very small flat head screw driver and stick it in under the wire, you will see a "tab" in the plug, CAREFULLY push down on this and the wire will release, then it will snap back in where you want it on the empty slot.

What I did was removed the mute wire from the plug, and inserted it into the open hole, then just grounded that wire along with the P brake wire, and ground wire. If you a very small flat head screw driver and stick it in under the wire, you will see a "tab" in the plug, CAREFULLY push down on this and the wire will release, then it will snap back in where you want it on the empty slot.

idbl_fanatic,

I just want to take a moment and thank you for your help. I appreciate you not getting upset with a newbie like me asking so many questions.

I going to see if I can locate that vss wire near the fender. If you have any pictures where it's located it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chase