AVIC411.com

DUH - Early adoptors typically pay MORE - not less. Still doesn't explain why the N4 costs less than the N3.

You've just answered your own question!

Early adopters pay more for R&D and also technology becomes cheaper as time goes...

As for the N4 the technology is now cheaper to manufacturer and most of the R&D has already been done and taken over from the previous models! So all they have to do is just a little modifications and add a few extra features...

And also I do agree the N4 is ugly! The best looking one I say was the AVIC-N1 - if the AVIC-N3 had the same knobs as the N1 I'd bee happy enuf - even if the N4 kept the same style I'd be happy to get one right away! The N4 just looks so cheap and plain looking - that prob is why its also cheaper too!

I wouldn't buy another alpine unit though - way to costly and plain - spend a fortune to get it to do what an AVIC will do, spend over $10,000 and and still left with features that the alpine unit can't do such as Voice Recognition and Vehicle Dynamics and so on and on...

I can't believe you guys think the N4 is ugly. I have the AVH-P5900DVD in my car and I love the way it looks. To me it is one of the better looking A/V units Pioneer has made, and I have had them all...literally. I am debating if I want to swap my 5900 for the N4 yet. I am fine using my AVIC-S2 for now so I may wait.