AVIC411.com

AVIC S2 Unlocked

I just got an S2 and am having fun playing with it (unlocking and adding apps). It is very similar to my Mio C310X. I got the S2 because of the bluetooth capability.

I would appreciate some info or links to "how to" edit the wince unlocker app and cab referenced in other threads here. I have unlocked the S2 by both the wince unlocker app and the reset button unlock. I would like to know how to edit the wince unlocker cab file to remove some apps and add some apps.

Thanks for any help you could provide...

OKCrew

I also have an S2 and would like to access the wince. I have tried the reset method but I have been unsuccessful. Can you please let me know how you were able to access the wince? Do I need the wince unlocker or can I just use the reset button? If I do need the wince ublocker, can you describe what you did?

I apologize for all the questions but I am new to this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Read this thread for the link to the unlocker...

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3608

The button unlock is:

1. Turn off with On/Off slider on rear

2. After device boots to Pioneer screen but before the mainshell starts, push in the scroll wheel and Menu buttons and let go when window asks to load WinCE

The unlocker app found at the link in the thread above is an executible and cab file that you put on an SD card. If you do step 1 above with the files in the root of the SD card, the executible runs and installs programs and files (including needed dlls) from the cab file. You then will need to customize the apps and features you would want.

The main app from the unlocker app is WolfToolBar. One of its features is as task switcher. This is needed as the Pioneer OEM skin of the navigation app has no way to exit the app after starting. Wolf allows you to "kill" the nav app.

Good luck and have fun...

I have settled on the button unlock...

I really only wanted TCPMP (media player) on the device. So after an unlock, I installed GAPI and TCPMP via cab files. I moved the TCPMP files to the Windows directory and renamed the exectable to mp3player.exe. Then a soft reset will run the mainshell.exe and the S2 UI looks stock. The Audio Player icon of the mainshell will start TCPMP (which I use for mp3s and Divx videos).

For maps, I copied my state, 5 surrounding states and the base and water maps to \My Flash Disk\GS2MAP\GS2Map\Maps. The other continental state and Canada maps to \Maps on a 2GB SD card. They take less than 800MB space, leaving plenty for music and video. I also keep a copy of the GAPI and TCPMP cab files on the card in case I encounter a hard reset. In 5 minutes it could be unlocked and re-setup.

• 3 months later...

I will be buying the AVIC-S2 today at Circuit City. I just wanted a simple GPS with bluetooth, and this has all of it for a modest price. I'm looking forward to get Win CE on there though. Quick question if I load in there lets say a 2 GB or a 4GB SD card will it still work? Anyone try it?

WinCE is already there... The AVIC UI shell is just overlayed on it. You can bypass the loading of the shell to get to the WinCE desktop by using the 2-button reset method referenced above. The AVIC can utilize non SDHC cards of various sizes. I have used 2GB but not 4 as I have not had a non-SDHC 4GB card (even though, I know they are out there). So I can't answer affirmative to the 4GB. Have fun...

• 2 years later...

Hello guys,I have some problems with updating my Avic-s2.I mainly wanted to update the maps but then I found out that it wasn't possible so I decided to change the software to IGO.But I'm not able to get to the SD card.My computer is not able to detect the unit.I can't use ActiveSync because I have Windows 7.I'm also not able to the reset how it is said here above.Everytime I press the menu and the volume buttons a small table appears.It says Enter to Windows CE? but when I click on Yes the unit does nothing a just a small white stripe appears down there.Dnes anyone know how to fix this?Responses appreciated :)

• 4 weeks later...
Hello guys,I have some problems with updating my Avic-s2.I mainly wanted to update the maps but then I found out that it wasn't possible so I decided to change the software to IGO.But I'm not able to get to the SD card.My computer is not able to detect the unit.I can't use ActiveSync because I have Windows 7.I'm also not able to the reset how it is said here above.Everytime I press the menu and the volume buttons a small table appears.It says Enter to Windows CE? but when I click on Yes the unit does nothing a just a small white stripe appears down there.Dnes anyone know how to fix this?Responses appreciated :)

You need to click that white stripe at the bottom of the screen, it's actually the start menu. Once you have the start menu up you can open windows explorer from programs. As far as transferring files to the unit just copy the files you want to your SD card and then from windows explorer copy you can copy the files from your sd card to the flash disk.