AVIC411.com

VSS Wire on a '03 BMW Z4

• 1 month later...

I see that there is a black/white wire in the radio harness that adjusts the radio volume due to speed. I connected to this wire and did not get a speed pulse. Could this be a positive pulse and the nav wants to see a negative pulse? I would prefer to not tap into the ABS system if possible. I keep thinking that there should be one there in case you got the factory nav.

P.S. I moved this nav from a Camry that had the speed pulse wire connected and the accuracy was much better. It will now show my position in the BMW a block or even two away from where I am.

Thanks Again

Dave

• 3 months later...

The black/white wire will not work, thats part of the CAN BUS and is not compatible with an aftermarket unit like the Avics.

I just finished an install and can confirm this is correct. On my 2005 Z4, I got the speed pulse wire at Pin 6 in the cluster harness, a yellow / green-stripe wire. It produces 1 pulse for every .5 MPH, forward or backward, and is extremely accurate. My N4 entered 3D Hybrid mode after about 3 minutes of driving and the Avic gauges are now more 'realtime' accurate than my speedo! Love it.

BMW uses universal wiring (why don't more companies?) so this information should be the same for all Z4 (E85 & E86) models. Enjoy!