AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm missing something or didn't read thouroughly but why are you guys removing the HD from the plate? I just left it attached to the plate and hooked the IDE cable directly to the back of the drive...

If you want to REPLACE the drive with a bigger one then you have to re-use the plate.

The prefered way of updating to the Z2 image appears now to be going with a new drive.

You get 50 gig (Toshiba 80 gig drive) of musik storage and you keep your existing drive untouched.

Very little difference in cost.

While I do see the advantage of doing the upgrade if you are installing a bigger hard drive but, for those reusing the Z1 hard drive wouldn't it be easier to buy the CNDV-700HD dvd and do the upgrade that way?

If you are somewhat technical, this really isn't that hard. In addition, when this method came out, the upgrade DVD's were extremely hard to come by.

I also had a problem removing the original hard drive from the tray. I took the Lazy Man's way out and simply ordered the replacement parts from www.ued.net. Big thanks to the people that posted the service manual which allowed me to find the part numbers listed...but takes about 3 weeks to ship because these parts are not kept in stock. Total is about $20, but like I said, I'm lazy. Hope this helps someone...

Part # Part Price QTY

CBA1805 SCREW $0.92 4

CND3002 HOLDER $12.94 1

CNM8452 SPACER $3.81 1

Okay maybe i missed something i have a couple of days off from worka nd i was going to attempt this. I ran into two problems if anyone can help. First I went out and purchased and ide adapter but when i went to put it in my computer it wouldn't plug in. Apparently the adapter i have is a 30 pin and the cable from the pc is 29 pin even on the motherboard is 29 pin. Secondly i don't see a diagram on the hard drivve that shows which place to put the jumper. I tried to take the metal plate off but the screws started to strip and i didn't wanna mess them up anymore. Thankx.

Okay maybe i missed something i have a couple of days off from worka nd i was going to attempt this. I ran into two problems if anyone can help. First I went out and purchased and ide adapter but when i went to put it in my computer it wouldn't plug in. Apparently the adapter i have is a 30 pin and the cable from the pc is 29 pin even on the motherboard is 29 pin. Secondly i don't see a diagram on the hard drivve that shows which place to put the jumper. I tried to take the metal plate off but the screws started to strip and i didn't wanna mess them up anymore. Thankx.

Huh? If I remember right, the 2.5" hdd has 43 pins and the IDE cable has 39 pin holes. The 2.5 to 3.5 adapter that you need matches both.

What jumper??

If you can't remove the screws, look at my post earlier in this thread on how to make it easy with a dremel tool .....or buy a replacement plate. :wink:

Try a different FTP client.

are you just clicking the links when you download it, or using FTP in Explorer? Maybe try FlashFXP...

See page 9 of this thread..

Yes, the image contains the predefined partitions and MBR.

No, you can connect your drive to ANY port to restore it even USB , BUT be carefull to eject the drive before removing it because the write back cache may be full.

File size reported inside WinRAR:

Size: 9,500,878,848

Packed: 9,075,464,753

Size of each file on my computer:

Z2Bypassed.part01.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part02.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part03.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part04.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part05.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part06.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part07.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part08.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part09.rar - 670,760 KB

If your file sizes do not match this amount guess what? they stopped short of dowloading the whole file and you either need to resume the Download or restart it.

I am going to test this image on the stock drive then i will install it on a 80gb toshiba mentioned in this thread.

I just did a drag and drop. The rar files are identical to what was posted. My only difference is in the post un rar size.

I think I'll just try the image that way. I just have to disable security by loading drive with the boot disk and then download a free partition tool to open up the 3rd partition for more music storage.

I'm also going to check on changing the boot screen.

File size reported inside WinRAR:

Size: 9,500,878,848

Packed: 9,075,464,753

Size of each file on my computer:

Z2Bypassed.part01.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part02.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part03.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part04.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part05.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part06.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part07.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part08.rar - 1,024,000 KB

Z2Bypassed.part09.rar - 670,760 KB

That's exactly what I've got. The tib file is 9,278,202 KB.

It's working great.

I remember others reporting the smaller size also earlier in this thread. Not sure if it worked for them but would think that even if it works, something has to be missing. :?