AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, System took a dump yesterday, it's back online now though

PLEASE try and limit your connections into the server to 1 at a time, there are lots of people trying to get the files and the more bandwidth you use for yourself, means other people have problems getting files as well

Be courteous and everyone will get their fair share

IF I see multiple connections from the same IP address from now on, I'll ban that IP address

You've been warned!

First off, I have to give much thanks to all of you who have contributed.

I'm not too proficient with computers, but I'm no dunce by any means. My strong point is with car audio, so I was kind of caught off guard with the whole upgrade process since the majority is done with a computer.

I bought a 40GB Toshiba hard drive off eBay since Newegg only has the SATA drives, I believe. I bought the 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter off compusa.

I followed the instructions and everything was fairly straightforward. I did, however, run into a few problems when I connected my hard drive to my motherboard.

I wasn't aware that I had to initialize and format it in disk management first. After removing the security features, I started up windows and freaked out when my computer didn't list the drive. I saw that Windows found new hardware, but was confused when it didn't show up in My Computer. I chalked it up as to having a garbage computer, so I ordered an external case. It was $12 from newegg. You can get cheaper ones, but this one was pretty decent. When that arrived, I tried hooking it up to my USB port and still had the same problem. Windows found the mass-storage device, but didn't display it in My Computer. Anyway, after a little research, I found out how to initialize and format it. I thought I would run into problems because I formatted it as NTFS, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I know most of you already know this, but I assume that there are some that don't (like me). For those of you having the same problem here's what to do:

go to Start --> Run --> and type in "compmgmt.msc" (be sure to exclude the quotation marks)

Under "Storage" go to "Disk Management"

Scroll down and find the new drive. Right click and select "Initialize" then right click and "Format"

BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS BECAUSE YOU MAY ACCIDENTALLY FORMAT THE WRONG DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After it was done formatting, I used Acronis True Image to restore the .tib file onto the new HDD. It was straightforward and fairly simple. It took a little over 15 minutes I believe. If your replacement HDD is more than 30GB, you can resize the music partition. I used Acronis Disk Director to resize the 9.08GB partition. Once again, very straightforward.

I removed the hard drive from the Z1, but had problems unscrewing the plate like many others. I tried a jewelry screwdriver, but there wasn't enough torque. I used a Cobalt 6-in-1 screwdriver and used the smallest Phillips head. Also, locating a T8 screwdriver was a pain. I just wanted the T8 head without having to buy the whole set.

I swapped the hard drives and powered up the car. It updated without a problem.

The unit is a lot quicker when using the keyboard for a POI search. I haven't had much time to fool with it, but it seems like it's working great.

Thanks everyone.

I'm thinking this uncompressed state has something to do with a version or the different computers. Something is not right.

I've downloaded it two separate times and both times all 9 zip files equal 8.45 GB and not 9.4. However, each file separately is identical to what was posted here as the "supposed to be" size.

I'm going to move forward and try it this way.

Duke

WOW, this was soooo easy. I'd like to thank the folks who made this available.

Bought a new HD and 2.5" adapter. Connected on 2nd IDE as primary, used windows to format it. Use True Image to restore the downloaded image and from there it was plug and play... :mrgreen:

Rock on !

Oh ya... after unpacking the image was 8.8 gigs on my SUSE 10.3 Linux desktop.

I just did the upgrade for my Z2. I took out the 30G and put in the new 80G.

I have noticed when I went into hardware info menu and saw 26% used space and the blue bar is all most to the end. I did not have anything on it yet. I have expanded the MSV to 55.5G. Is the Z2 having problem to recognize the bigger MSV partition?

Thanks...