AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

Hello,

I've been reading through this forum and this is all great info! I'm planning on buying a Z1 and doing the bypass/unlocking/Z2 upgrade. My two questions are:

1. Am I correct in assuming that 40GB (basically doubling the MSV partition from 10GB to 20GB) is the largest we can go without having reboot issues?

2. Does that mean the people on eBay selling 80GB+ drives are basically robbing people? I know most people have 60GB drives since it is the standard drive size now, but it seems wrong to sell 80GB drives and not mention that the whole drive is not being used...

And I can't remember who was having an issue with the FTP site, but it is working for me. It is going to take like 4 days to get it all, but I normally don't complain about free. So thank you in advance BigFloppy!

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that the rebooting issue has nothing to do with size, but instead of what HDD is used...From my best understanding is that is has to do with the current or draw of power that is needed to run the drive...So really, those on ebay aren't really ripping anyone off, as long as they are using the correct drives...

I don't think the size of the MSV really matters...but in order for the HDD usage screen on the Z2 to read accurately, you cannot go over a certain size....I forget what it was....but I belive Mazda6(I think he changed his username) played with it, and found the cut off to be 45 gigs...but don't quote me....search to find his post...otherwise, you should be able to make, store, and use music that is stored on whatever size MSV partiion you choose...

One more question. When I have my new Toshiba loaded with the Z2 image, do I then treat my Z1 as if it is a Z2? Specifically, do I apply the firmware update for the Z2, or do I still apply the Z1 firmware update?

Thanks! I have been reading a lot and maybe this was asked and answered, but I don't recall seeing it.

Thanks again for all of the help! :D:D

One more question. When I have my new Toshiba loaded with the Z2 image, do I then treat my Z1 as if it is a Z2? Specifically, do I apply the firmware update for the Z2, or do I still apply the Z1 firmware update?

The Z1 and Z2 are the exact same hardware. The only difference is the firmware. If you update the Z1's firmware to a Z2, it is truly a Z2 in every way. As such, you would use updates for the Z2.

First off BIG THANKS to everyone on this fourm who has the patience, dedication and brain power to figure out how to do this and to help the noobs like me!!! Otherwise, I'd be paying the piper and that's no fun. 8)

I bought my Z1 about a year ago, literally weeks before the Z2 came out. (Don't you hate it when that happens?) Everytime the Z1 can't find an address, or gives me the incorrect POI or leads me down the wrong street, as I'm pulling my hair and screaming at the top of my lungs I wonder if I would have suffered the same fate with the Z2.

So I've been reading up on this forum and I'm think I'm ready to make the upgrade. Here's what I've come up with so far (and feel free to chime in if I'm wrong). I'm going to buy a new harddrive vs. changing out the existing one. I'm leaning towards the Toshiba MK4019GAX 40GB. I figure I can find the torrent and reformat the drive. It sounds pretty straightforward. After I upgrade to the Z2, I'm going to update the firmware with the Z2 version at this link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... e+Download

Is it that easy? I hope I'm not missing something.

If anyone in NYC wants to help me I also want to install the PAC-SWI, Bluetooth and rear camera. I'd be willing to take you to a nice Porterhouse steak at Lugar's or I'll pay you for the time. PM me. I'd also consider buying a harddrive that's already been reformatted. I know some people have thrown that option out there. That'll save me the trouble of searching and downloading the file. Big up Big up.

V1inM3, I just did the Z1 to Z2 upgrade today. I was also considering the same options that you described. I decided to do the following.

I looked on ebay and found someone who was selling the 40gig toshiba drives for $99 + $16 shipping for a $115 total.

The drive is pre-loaded with the Z2 maps and firmware and is fully unlocked. The Z1 won't lock the drive when powered up. That means that this is the only drive purchase that you (or I) will have to do.

The firmware and the gracenote database that were loaded on the drive were the next to newest update. So I burned 2 disks with the updates(1 with gracenote and one with Z2 firmware) and they loaded perfectly!

Doing it this way was so much easier than doing the drive myself. I'm sure that I could have done it, but this was so much easier and less time consuming.

Changing the drive out was a piece of cake! It couldn't have been easier.

Good luck with what you decide to do. If I can be any more help, just ask.

If you decide to buy one pre-loaded, I'll let you know the ebay ID that I got mine from. The guy had excellent communication and knew his stuff. He also shipped quickly and I had my drive in 2 days. :D:D8)

• 2 weeks later...

I used the ftp download link to attempt to download the 8 rar files from big floppy. I was able to download all but the last 3 rar files. It says the ip address for big floppy is no longer allowing downloads. Has anyone else had this problem? Just curious.

thanks

mike

I was able to unlock the stock drive with Repair Station. purchased with the discount :P

Disabled the Security Feature with MHDD with these commands:

MHDD\eid = To display settings

MHDD\config = to change settings. Press "y" to change settings. Press "Enter" to get to the Security setting. Press "y" to turn it off forever.

Press "Enter" once more.

Done.

Cycle the power on the drive and repeat the eid command to make sure it is off

You can do a test by doing a PWD command, it will tell you that Security is disabled on this drive.

I booted back in to the OS and ran an Analyze with Diskeeper on the 4 partitions. OMG they are very fragmented. I attached the reports.

I will play with Ghosting the Stock drive and restoring with Ghost. And fooling with the data. I'd rather not lose my Address Book and Destinations. I have been reading here alot so I think I'll have much success. 8)

COMPUTER01_USER (H )_JobReport.txt

COMPUTER01_SDATA (E )_JobReport.txt

COMPUTER01_MSV (F )_JobReport.txt

COMPUTER01_LDATA (G )_JobReport.txt

I have a question too, and sorry if this has been asked, I couldn't find it. I just bought a Z1, can I take an extra hard drive, put the image on it and go. Should I do the change security bit before putting the drive in? I will keep the Z1 drive as a spare. This forum is one reason I got the Z1 after seeing the community that goes with it.