AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2009 Maps

I have a question too, and sorry if this has been asked, I couldn't find it. I just bought a Z1, can I take an extra hard drive, put the image on it and go. Should I do the change security bit before putting the drive in? I will keep the Z1 drive as a spare. This forum is one reason I got the Z1 after seeing the community that goes with it.

Answered:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so i followed the directions to the letter, im using the drive that came with my z1 and after i updated it to the z2 image and put it back in the console it would not turn on.

now i drove around for a week with the hard drive out could this have damaged the deck?

could the image i downloaded be bad?

i even reverted back to the z1 with the backup image i made and no success.

the drive still works when plugged into a pc so the hdd isnt bad.

i hit the reset button on the deck and nothing happened.

this is so weird im am tech savvy and have no idea what could b wrong.

please help!!

I'm not that techically savvy but I've gotten 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter converter and a new HDD, so how exactly do I connect this new Toshiba hard drive "as the master drive on your secondary IDE channel using the IDE Hard Drive Adapter" When I connect onto the secondary IDE channel, the computer says there's no boot device available...

Luckily I'm using a spare computer for this :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

OK.. havent posted in like.. well a year... But I had some time and wanted to share some info for all...

I had the z2 image I download a while ago and did nothing with. I had an old Western Digital 120GB external USB drive... Model # WD1200

Didn't have a use for it... so I gave it a shot.. Downloaded Acronis disk, plugged the drive into the usb port and restored the Z2 image into it. Took apart the drive (easy) and unplugged the IDE/USB converter...Wha La! Drive....

Put it in my Z1.. went through 2 upgrading screens and has been working great. Didn't have to unlock anything, have the original z1 drive all intact.

I will update in a day or so and let everyone know.

Still have to do the 2-wire ground bypass. There is a sticky at the top of the page if you don't know how

I have a dumb simple question.

So after upgrading the Z1 to a Z2 (let's say with a new HDD), do I still have to do the ground bypass mod? Or is that taken care of in the Z2 image?

If this has been answered already please just link me.

Thanks,

OK... the drive quit.... Wasn't the heat as its only been in the 60's here.. Worked fine for about 4 hours and won't boot at all. put it back on the PC and its all still there but just hangs at the logo... HMMMMMM?????? Nothing wrong with the drive as a quick drive-check revealed a 100% Drive....

So.... Re-Imaged the drive using the same image... popped it back in.. Booted up perfect.... Don't know.... Drive Check built into the Avic???? Can't figure out why a simple re-image would allow it to work... Perhaps the Avic is writing a "do not accept" file on the drive???

OK... the drive quit.... Wasn't the heat as its only been in the 60's here.. Worked fine for about 4 hours and won't boot at all. put it back on the PC and its all still there but just hangs at the logo... HMMMMMM?????? Nothing wrong with the drive as a quick drive-check revealed a 100% Drive....

Ever thought it could have been the 120GB Western Digital drive you imaged onto . . .?

Don't belive anyone runnin the Z2 image is using a WD Drive

Ever thought it could have been the 120GB Western Digital drive you imaged onto . . .?

Don't belive anyone runnin the Z2 image is using a WD Drive

Its definitely the drive, but why?? What's causing it?? The WD is indestructible and uses very little power.... It wasn't the vibration as I was sitting in a parking lot just idling when it shut down and wasn't the temp...And since it ran for a day first...The drive was 100% on 2 different scan progs......

OK... gave up and bought a Toshiba 60gig HD from newegg.... They have the MK6034gax for $53 and have a good supply of them!!!

I would be willing to help if anyone is interested in imaging their drive. Please PM me.

Thanks all!

-Z2Envoy

:D

I assume you have Z1. No, the 2-wire bypass will not work unless you do the bluetooth update or update your HD to Z2 software

would the two wire bypass work even if you didnt do any updates or upgrades. Because im no to sure if I want to do the bluetooth upgrade because of the chance of locking it up.