AVIC411.com

I'm afraid the whole "demo model" routine is XM's way of coving up their mistake and that a few days following the "demo" will discontinue....LOL. I think I am going to ride this out as long as I can. I live in Pittsburgh and the traffic here is pretty much the same all the time.....the free XM definately outweighs the risk for NavTraffic (although it is a cool feature) Thanks for your posts!!!

• 5 months later...

Just to update anyone who had an eye on my situation. My NAVTraffic trial which was added eventually cut out. I never really got much use out of it which didn't really help me decide if it was worth the risk. With that said, when the NAVTraffic cut out, my free XM still remained. I don't know what I did to deserve this but I've been getting free XM for nearly a year now.

Once again, I find myself getting greedy and entertaining the idea of calling XM and explaining that I was told my navtraffic would last as long my "dealer demo" lasts.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just to update anyone who had an eye on my situation. My NAVTraffic trial which was added eventually cut out. I never really got much use out of it which didn't really help me decide if it was worth the risk. With that said, when the NAVTraffic cut out, my free XM still remained. I don't know what I did to deserve this but I've been getting free XM for nearly a year now.

Once again, I find myself getting greedy and entertaining the idea of calling XM and explaining that I was told my navtraffic would last as long my "dealer demo" lasts.

What's the news?

• 2 months later...

Keep on thing in mind. Some stereo shops or dealers get a certian amount of free XM licenses because for demo purposes. If your radio ID happens to be one of these free accounts it will never be shut off, unless someone calls in to inactivate that Radio ID.

I recently purchases a SIR-PRN2 Sirius tuner off Fleabay, got it all hooked up on my N1.. Subscription is active, guess I won't be phoning that one in for activation!

Wonder what's gonna happen when XM & Sirius merge with my free deal?

I also have XM (pay for this one) with Nav Traffic. $77 / yr deal + $48 for Nav.. But one never knows.

• 5 months later...

Just to add to this post, I had an xm receiver I bought on amazon installed with my new F90bt last week. It is getting a select few channels (like 20 or so). Not sure if it's a demo subscription of some kind, but it is a little different in that I don't seem to be picking up every channel. I'm hoping I may be missing a setting that lets me access more of them. Weird. Anyway, just wanted to add my experience.

I have been searching on this as well, what I have found is that if someone needs to send there XM unit in for repair or cancels their service and has already disconnected the power to the unit, it will not receive the cancel request from the satellites. Apparently XM gives up after about 6 months on sending the cancel signal. So depending on how long the unit has not been connected to a power source with the antenna connected, it is possible to have the unit on indefinitely (well until XM goes on a rampage and kills them all and reactivates the good units).

Wow. Maybe you'll be able to live your whole life for free and never really have to work hard and earn a thing for yourself. Good luck with that. Happy holidays.

I pay for a subsciption on another stereo and have no problem paying for one with this system. (which doesn't pick up free channels anymore by the way). But I appreciate the sarcasm...