AVIC411.com

So I just got the z2 installed in my car. I bought the unit through an eBay auction and it was slightly used for about 2 months. I purchased the XM receiver separately, mainly for the Navtraffic feature, however, after I left the shop i was messing around with the unit and i found that i was getting full XM service. Does anyone have any ideas on why i'm getting this? Can this be a carry over from the last user?

I want to add the Navtraffic but I'm afraid if i call my jig will be up. Anyone know what i should do to get around this?

I would say it's definitely a carryover... I have so far bought two different Sirius units on ebay and both times the same thing has happened. The first one lasted over a year before I traded the car in (it's still going for all I know), the second lasted four months and is still going strong in my fiance's car.

I've actually been kicking myself that I didn't buy my current Sirius tuner from ebay :D

They will ask for the XM ID # off the tuner, or you can get it onscreen. Hard to say if they would make you pay, but I would say Probably

So if I were to call them and ask to add Navtraffic to it, will i then have to pay?

How do they identify the unit I have? Do they ask for the units serial number?

Ok, I just got off the phone with XM.

I tried to tell them that I had purchased the unit for my nephew and that he had purchased the XM service to which i wanted to add the Nav traffic and pay the 3.99 a month difference. I was shot down.

I hung up and then called back again and asked the lady to run the radio ID that came on hoping that she'd be able to tell me what service plan was on the reciever i had, but again, she couldn't give me any info without the name address and phone number on the account. So it's looking like i'm going to have to cancel the service and pay for the year of XM and nav traffic.

In a fleeting, last hope, effort i'm going to try and contact the seller and see if they can give me the info on the account but i'm giving that maybe a 2% chance.

Anyone else got any bright ideas?

COMPLETE SUCESS!!

Just called them back. I said I had just gotten the pioneer unit installed in my car and that i was skeptical about adding navtraffic to it because i wasn't sure if it would work in my area and that my installer said if I called XM they would give me a trial period. I was put on hold, and a new lady answered the phone and asked me for my radio ID, I gave it to her and she informed me that I'm getting free service because my radio is on a "Demo Account" that the "dealership" puts on. She went right ahead and added nav traffic to my unit for as long as the demo account continues to go for.

So looks like i'm getting free service and navtraffic. Lets just hope it lasts for a while.

Thanks for the help and good luck if your trying to accomplish the same thing.

SWEET!!

Did you tell them that you were getting free service??? If not, I wonder how they knew?? I got my XM / NavTraffic receiver off of ebay and am pretty sure that the previous owner activated it and XM never de-activated it. I would love to do the same thing, but am enjoying the free XM. Anyway, strong work and I hope it last!!!

You should def. call them up then. They immediatly know your getting free service because they see it on the box, but it comes up as a "Demo Mode" which she explained as what car dealerships do for new cars. She couldn't even tell how long the free demo version was going to last. So your probably on the same thing, I'd at least call and give it a shot. Can't hurt. Good luck.