AVIC411.com

02 - 07 VW install issues

As you may or may not already know the factory harness in Mk5 VWs lacks a few key elements such as ACC and ILL, which are controlled through the CAN Bus. Imagine my shock and horror when I ,with shiny new D-3 and standard harness in hand, discovered this at 10 o'clock at night with half of my dash strewn about my driveway. I'm quite certain that this would not have been an issue for many of the more savvy installers out there as you would have simply wired the light switch and the ignition harness, etc. However I do not fall into such a catagory so this is what I have discovered for the rest of us...

First, Pioneer actually manufactures a harness that is direct plug and play for the D-3 and Mk5 VWs (part # CA-R-PI 221 VW) which requires no cutting whatsoever, with the minor exception of the mute wire hack, as it repalces the wire leads from the Pioneer head unit. This part is available only in Europe but a google search will yeild a few options for purchase.

Secondly, as of August '07 Perepheral Electronics in Florida has released a similar product (part # VWAH). This requires the standard soldered/crimped connections of a traditional harness. Perepheral does not sell directly to the public but a visit to there web site will show authorized dealers who can order it.

Both units have an inline module that controls the ACC switch, illumination, parking brake and reverse switches, as well as VSS input through the CAN Bus thus eliminating the need to run several leads. Both options are a little spendy but if you just dropped a yard on a navi system what's another $100?

Sorry for the super long post, just thought all of the info in one place would be helpful.