AVIC411.com

IPOD touch & D3

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Apple did make all those itrips useless when they changed the ports on top of the ipod when they released the 5th generation, so I don't think they care about third party accessories. If I understand correctly that the new ones still have the dock connector, however, all should be well. I can't imagine buying an ipod that is only 16G for $400 anyway.

As far as the connectors on the new ipods, there the same as older ipods. What I would worry about is if the directory structure was changed or not. That would be the incompatibility. However the ipod music functions of the iphone work like all pervious ipods so iI wouldn't worry too much.

The Touch uses the same binaries( read OS) as the Iphone. It would have the same(if any) problems as the Iphone would when hooking up to a D3 or other item.

On a side note, That also means that any addon programs for the Iphone( for those who have one and have hacked it to add stuff) will also work on the Ipod touch.

Check out the article on the Ipod touch here:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/breaking/ipo ... 296837.php

The Touch uses the same binaries( read OS) as the Iphone. It would have the same(if any) problems as the Iphone would when hooking up to a D3

Not necessarily, about the the only thing that the iPhone doesn't do that iPods do is video out. Apple intentionally disabled that with the phone, the iPod touch most likely will support that as all other iPods do.

No, I have 4 days off a week, I study then. I go to school Tues-Thurs and I have 3-5 hours in between classes. I was so looking forward to watching the new season of the Office in my car amongst other shows/movies. I'm so pissed right now, my iPod video 5G 30gb hard drive died a few weeks ago. So I wait on buying a replacement due to new ones coming out, and this is what I get.

On a positive note, browsing music on the D3 is now extremely fast. Instant really. I'm going to have to try and find someway to crack the firmware to allow video playback. I was thinking of trying the new iPod composite cables from apple and running them into the AV input on the D3. But these cables run into the dock connector so no place for the D3 dock connector. Apple just pissed me off so much. Freakin hand them $250 and they slap me in the face because they need to please all the copy protection-whore movie studios by implementing more useless DRM related crap. Seriously Apple, wtf. I wish there was some other device that had a decent level of control/integration from the D3. There's no real chance of Pioneer fixing this as only Apple has access to the chips to make the external output work.

/rant

yeah i just read about the new ipods and its inability to play through unapproved third party devices. i was going to buy an ipod classic, but i might just hold off for a bit...

but then, the thing is not that the video function doesn't work, it just doesn't turn on. with appropriate validation (apple's recommending buy their component devices, oh joy), something called Apple authentication chip, the video function does turn on. so the main question is whether or not the D3, given its more-expensive-than-the-average-gadget price tag, has it.